Copiapoa cinerea

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Copiapoa cinerea

Post by Ospreywatcher »

I've had one of these for several years now but it has never shown any sign of growth at all. Neither has it shown any sign of dying by shrinking or going spongy. It just sits in its pot year after year and the only change in it has been part of the hard surface turning white. I have tried it in different composts without success. Is there any remote chance whatsoever of it growing or flowering because up to now it could just as well be a china ornament!!!
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Copiapoa cinerea

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Mine is about the size of a small fist. It has never flowered.
I’ve had it since my early teens.
I’m now 57......
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

If it isn't growing, it isn't likely to flower. A healthy C. cinerea in this country tends to turn grey at best, white doesn't sound good. A picture might help. "White" could just be the normal chalky surface, or it might mean your ornament is slowly dying.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

It sounds like a good sun burn. But a picture could really help here.
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest

Post by Ospreywatcher »

A couple of pics.
32823220527_be268b0905_m.jpg
32823220527_be268b0905_m.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
32823212697_c3413b51eb_m (5).jpg
32823212697_c3413b51eb_m (5).jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

It could do with a different/ larger pot and more soil, with my copiapoa I tend to have a larger plant next to them so they get less direct sun as they are prone to scorch.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

I find Copiapoa do best with plenty of ventilation and without direct sun
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Doesn't look so bad. Obviously scorched on one side low down, but appears to be growing out of that. Doesn't look too thirsty. It will grow best with long periods of steady warmth. Doesn't need excessive heat, doesn't like excessive drought. They can take an age to get moving after winter. Contrary to what some others suggest, they will do best with a fair amount of direct sun, possibly even what you'd call full sun, but they do scorch very easily, especially when they're small and especially when they're not used to it. Definitely be cautious before mid-summer, slight bleaching is an early sign that can quickly turn into permanent white scarring. Those rare days of continuous sunshine are risky.

A larger pot might be helpful, especially if it hasn't been repotted for many years. It doesn't look horribly potbound, but just a little more space and a little fresh soil might be the difference between hanging in there and getting a bit bigger each year.
Cheshire, UK
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

And they are naturally slow!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia