Indestructible Larryleachia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Indestructible Larryleachia

Post by MikeDom »

I've had this Larryleachia cactiformis for a number of years and a few years ago it stopped growing. Attempts to get it growing have resulted in patches of rot as you can see in the photos. It has rotted from underneath also (now healed and dry), not produced any new roots for years and just sat there squidgy and sulking, had a severe mealy bug infestation, sunburnt, been knocked out of the pot a few times by accident and even left lying upside down out of the pot for a few weeks. It lives in pretty much a pure grit and moler mix with very little organic material. Surprised I haven't been done for succulent abuse. :lol:

This year it's decided to grow, and there are a few new roots coming through. It's popping out branches all over and a few flower buds. Pity the flowers are a bit behind so I may not be able to pollinate with it's friend in the last picture.

Has anyone successfully managed to root the branches and how do you do it? I would guess you would root as for a standard Stapelia, but if there are any special considerations it would be nice to know.

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).