Adromischus help please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Adromischus help please

Post by wildedges »

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more plants but I found these two tucked at the back of a display of fairly dull succulents at the garden centre. The one on the right looks like Cristatus to me but I've no idea about the other one. They were pretty much in the dark so they might colour up with a bit of sun now.

Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Adromischus help please

Post by Stuart »

Yes, Cristatus on the right and a Cooperi hybrid on the left.
Stuart
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

That's great thanks. I didn't realise they hybridised.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by ChrisR »

Just wondering how/why you're so sure it's a cooperi hybrid Stuart?
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

Chris, I gave one to DT and took his advice, it also means that it will now have a DT number!!
Stuart
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Stuart wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:47 pm Chris, I gave one to DT and took his advice, it also means that it will now have a DT number!!
Stuart
I'd still be happier calling it Adromischus sp. DTnnnn or Adromischus cv. DTnnnn.
But then I'm sure you will sell many more propagations with its DTnnnn number. :lol:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

I'd like to see a flower to be sure. Has more a look of triflorus in form IMO. With all due respect to Derek, having a DT accession number without any real provenance adds very little value or interest to what looks a pretty boring Adro.......again, IMO :lol:

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

It looks better with a bit more direct sun and will be a bit more compact with dusky pink tints to the leaves. I think the Triflorus look is from being in poor light at a Garden Centre. I know an accession number doesn't mean much but people seem to like to buy plants with data though few realise there's a difference between an accession number and a collection data. I bought four really nice sized Turbinicarpus , for myself and not to sell, at a recent Cactus Mart, at a bargain £1 each because they had no data. (GC had a bargain tray, all at £1 with no data)

Stuart
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

I meant the leaf shape and overall form Stuart, not the colour. Let's see if DT adds his two penn'orth to this.

KathyM
BCSS Member

Post by KathyM »

I've also got a plant of the one on the left, I'd been wondering what it was. I hadn't considered it might be a hybrid. It seems to get sold under all sorts of names when it's not in mixed trays. This is how much colour mine has got in a greenhouse. It's nowhere near as bright as Adromischus cooperi.

Adromischus cooperi hybrid
Adromischus cooperi hybrid

This all maroon one is probably the most interesting Adromischus I've found in those trays of mixed plants in 5.5cm pots. The leaves were completely green when I got it, but it didn't have a spotty pattern in 2 different shades of green like an A. cooperi grown in poor light usually does so I suspected it would go all maroon, and it did. I thought it was pretty good for a plant from Wilkinsons.
maroon Adromischus cooperi
maroon Adromischus cooperi