Scarred Echeveria

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Scarred Echeveria

Post by Astro »

I have a (seed raised) E. agavoides that suddenly developed dark discolorations over most of its leaves. I'm not sure what happened. It has been in the same spot for at least a month, and other agavoides right next to it look fine. Any ideas what went wrong?
IMG_2250.JPG
IMG_2251.JPG
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Scarred Echeveria

Post by Liz M »

Maybe sunburn? We have had some hot sun recently and it is easy to be caught out like this. I had a few last year that got burnt. They were in the greenhouse and it was very hot. I brought them outside but it was too late. They still are not fully recovered.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Is it scarring or is it red pigmentation that has been brought out by the spring sunshine?
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

It could be sunburn, but its neighbors (plants from the same seed batch) are unmarked. The markings seem to be in spots that may have been protected from the sun during Winter, when the rosette was closed up much more tightly, so that would be in line with sunburn. I didn't expect sunburn to present as blackish instead of bleached or dried out/papery as in many other succulents.

It's almost certainly not pigmentation, I have another plant that was affected similarly last year and it still retains the discoloration (but luckily it's growing out now). I've had this plant (and others) in stronger light than they've had so far this year and they've never shown any inclination to acquire a tan in the bottom part of the leaves.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to grow these Echeverias. I have the impression Echeverias may like a bit more water and maybe a somewhat richer soil than I use for a lot of my plants. I'm also not clear on what enhances the pigmentation - my guess is cold and bright light (Winter/early Spring)? Less pigmentation when it's warm even in bright sunlight?
needygoal
Registered Guest

Post by needygoal »

Thanks for sharing this. I had the same problem with one of my echeveria earlier, but only on two or three of it’s leafs and I removed those leafs as I pruned and reported it. It seems alright at the moment. And yours seem to be much more severe. I’d like to know what causes this kind of discoloration as well. As you mentioned mine was also happened in areas of the plants that wouldn’t get much sunlight. It is most strange