Cactus ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: Cactus ID

Post by Al Laius »

I’m ashamed to say I’ve had this Melo for over 5 years and still haven’t got round to repotting it. It’s in the same coir compost it came with from Ikea. It lives in my cactus greenhouse which is kept just frost free, so can get pretty cold during winter, and yet it’s a survivor. I feed it occasionally ( once or twice every two years) and it gets watered along with the other cacti. It has already flowered this year and produced fruits.

Maybe they are hardier than folks think.
D73275C9-8AA2-4A8D-9EF6-8F21904FAFD2.jpeg
Astro
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Astro »

Most of my plants overwinter outside here (Northern California), under a porch roof to keep the rain off. Occasionally temperatures will drop below freezing, but never for more than a few hours just before dawn. Generally the low(er) air humidity allows me to get away with a lot.

Because of this, I don't grow too many very tender species, but I have a few Micranthocereus, Buiningias and Pachypodiums (and Agave attenuata planted out), many of which spend the winter outside as well (they only come in when there's a pronounced cold spell). I haven't had any problems, or even cold marks on any of the plants (although I wouldn't say they like my treatment :P) except for one... Melo azureus, which turns to mush in a heartbeat if it gets even a little too cold. I replaced it with a lithops :lol:
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

A few decades ago, Melocacti were thought of as challenging plants to grow.

Like Al, three years or so ago I bought a couple of Melocacti with cephalia, (in my case from Aldi - being otherwise unnamed I jokingly call them Melocactus aldissimus, although I suspect matanzanus), and - again like Al, I have left them in their pots - clay as it happens. They have sat on a sunny south-facing windowsill and thrived - their cephalia grow but the bodies have remained pretty much the same size - and are in flower for most of the year, with pretty small pink blooms, and have produced abundant fruits with viable seed (admittedly with a little help).

My conclusion is that these supermarket-bought make good "houseplants", are not hard to grow, and I am glad that my local supermarket stocked these. My only regret is that they have never reappeared.