Size of grit.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Keith H
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Size of grit.

Post by Keith H »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:16 am Good morning all.
How can I remove the "solved" marker ?
Report your own post using the ! button and add a note that you would like it 'un solved ' and one of the mods or admin should be able to do it for you.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I've fixed it for you but for future reference it's the tick icon (it toggles the 'solved' on and off each time you click it). :)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:02 pm I've fixed it for you but for future reference it's the tick icon (it toggles the 'solved' on and off each time you click it). :)
Ah (tu) I think my aim was badly off when I went to " quote Derek ! :oops:
SpikyMike
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by SpikyMike »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:02 pm I've fixed it for you but for future reference it's the tick icon (it toggles the 'solved' on and off each time you click it). :)
I can’t see a tick icon ☹️ On iPhone browsing the forum
Mike Walton
Birkhamsted Branch
Hertfordshire
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

SpikyMike wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:37 am
I can’t see a tick icon ☹️ On iPhone browsing the forum
On your iPhone, you will see 3 dots on a brown square to the right of your name.
Click on this and it will bring up a menu of Options to select,including the Tick at the bottom.

Cheers,
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

To return to the subject of grit, I did visit both suggested Somerset nurseries while on my way conveniently to NT Tyntesfield last week. The vast Cadbury Garden Centre sells only the finer quartz "Horticultural Potting Grit" from Melcourt, but at £8 for two 20L bags, it is great value. I also bought a black bag from Cleeve Garden Centre which appears to contain more larger particles and is still good value at £6 for 25L. I found the information that Melcourt offer from their web site about stockists to be unreliable for the London area.
https://www.melcourt.co.uk/product/hort ... it-garden/
https://www.melcourt.co.uk/product/hort ... it-garden/

I find this quartz grit from granite "Cornish Grit" to be the closest to the material that so many succulents grow in in South Africa and prefer it to the more angular, crushed quartzitic sandstone/quartzite that, for example, is now sold branded with RHS approval.

So many thanks MalcolmP2 for helping me restock!

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Apicra wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:02 pm I did visit both suggested Somerset nurseries while on my way conveniently to NT Tyntesfield
So many thanks MalcolmP2 for helping me restock!
(tu)