No soil?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

No soil?

Post by Echinocactus123 »

I have recently heard about a more modern technique for sowing using just sand or grit is this in anyway effective as it does not contain any nutrients? Thank you.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: No soil?

Post by anders »

I always sow in mixes of moler cat litter and a small amount of something finer like sand, and add nutrients to the water. I don't use the "baggie method", but grow my seedlings almost like my adult plants, but with more shade and water.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I have come across this method. It needs regular watering and frequent fertilisation.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Thank you would normal cactus fertiliser work?
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I think the main issue with soil-less compost is the provision of trace elements. You need to make sure there is a good supply of these. I'm not sure all fertilizer formulations advertised as "with trace elements" have all the necessary ones in a form that is accessible. Obviously they also need the nitrogen, phosphate and potsssium but these are relatively easy to supply.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

In which case which would you recommend David?
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

Honest answer is that I think it is too hard and I put soil in the mix.☺ So sorry I don't have a good answer.
Others do manage though and may have a better answer.
Rene Geissler always swore by a professional vitax mix for a rich range of trace elements, but he used soil as well.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

I use the same fertilizer that I use on my adult plants. I don't know how important it is, but it does have all of the micronutrients.