Fans for ventilation?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Fans for ventilation?

Post by el48tel »

I wish you well with that. COSSH in place? SOPs in place? Risk Assessments and Hazard Management in place? Fire Management in place? Training documentation up-to-date? PAT testing completed? You don't have to be in horticulture and no-one is exempt from their investigations - even Joe Public. Been there - and I will tell you that a visit from the Stasi, KGB, Mossad, or the Gestapo is more pleasant an experience. We were lucky that all of the relevant stuff was in the right place. Sorry - but I think that you may need to check out the IP rating of your fans although "only for own use". Electricity in damp places kills - please don't tell me otherwise.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by Cactusgirl »

I use 2 solar panels to power my fans in my greenhouse and they work really well. Were easy to set up too
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

I’ve had this stand/swivel fan in this position for about 4 years and it runs constantly throughout the year. It was about £15 from Argos originally The doors are only closed on the coldest winter days, so it is exposed to any humidity and rain if it’s blowing that way.

Have had no problems with it so far.

Al
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Post by Al Laius »

It would help if I included the picture, doh!
633C8AB3-9407-4B0E-A2AD-A90F88522DBB.jpeg
mary44
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by mary44 »

I have two fans hooked up to a 100W solar panel on the roof on the greenhouse. It works wonderfully even on cloudy days the fans are going.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20W-DC12V-5V ... 1438.l2649

The fans are plasticky but remarkably effective and have survived 12 months running with no problems. Ueful if you do not have electricity to the greenhouse as well. We bought the large solar panel separately but do have a 30w panel running another identical fan successfully.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Must be lucky, Ihave an 12inch dia old fan to circulate the air. It's has run non stop for years and gives no problems. I am loathed to stop as I know it will not start again lol. Cheers
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Eric Williams wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:01 pm Must be lucky, Ihave an 12inch dia old fan to circulate the air. It's has run non stop for years and gives no problems. I am loathed to stop as I know it will not start again lol. Cheers
As may be .... age unimportant .... electrical safety is important .... luck doesn't enter into it.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Cactusgirl wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 pm I use 2 solar panels to power my fans in my greenhouse and they work really well. Were easy to set up too
Seconded, solar powered fans make so much sense
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

I totally agree with you el48tel, elect. saftey in g/h is paramount. My set up was connected by a profesional electrician years ago. The "luck"I referred to was a tongue in cheek statement that my fan bearings had not collapsed. Cheers
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Eric Williams wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:40 pm I totally agree with you el48tel, elect. saftey in g/h is paramount. My set up was connected by a profesional electrician years ago. The "luck"I referred to was a tongue in cheek statement that my fan bearings had not collapsed. Cheers
It's awful when your ball bearings collapse