CactusWorld LIVE!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

CactusWorld LIVE!

Post by Tina »

so who is going to this, it should be a great social event like the National .
I'm hoping to go just haven't mentioned it to him indoors yet, anyone know how the show will work,can you just enter for one day.
http://www.cwl.bcss.org.uk/
I have even been told there will be a mariachi band :ban:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Re: CactusWorld LIVE!

Post by Paul in Essex »

I hope to go on the Saturday :)
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

The BCSS is putting a tent up on the lawn for the show and plant sales. There's quite a posh Show Programme, it looks like the show element is just the Saturday as the awards are presented on Saturday afternoon. It's not quite clear from the Programme but I think the Show is just on the Saturday and the plant sales - basically a Cactus Mart, is there for both days. If that's the case I'm not sure what happens to the empty show tables on the Sunday. I'm sure Mr.Werewolf will put me straight on this when he reads this. It should be a good weekend - weather permitting.

Stuart
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Times are given for staging, open to public, judging and presentation of awards on Saturday and on Sunday
The show remains open throughout the day
http://www.cwl.bcss.org.uk/show.html

The schedule doesn't seem to add anything about removing plants
http://www.cwl.bcss.org.uk/assets/downl ... hedule.pdf
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Jim, hadn't seen the online bit, nothing in the physical schedule about the show also being on the Sunday. There's been some resistance to a two day National in the past, hopefully with a good number of exhibitors at this Show, there might be some possibility of a two-day National in 2024.

Stuart
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

The problem with a two day show is that it does rather limit exhibitors to those living fairly locally or who intend to be there for two days. I live about an hour's drive from Lullingstone, I intend to be there on the Saturday and I was thinking of entering some plants. But I don't really want another two hours round trip on the M25 to collect them on the Sunday. Therefore I probably won't bother. I guess others may be in a similar position. Doesn't really upset me but it seems a shame.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I can vaguely remember it being a single day show but wondered if it was two shows, if its one day-Saturday ( which seems likely after looking at the programme) and if your there for the weekend you can leave your plants for the second day as display plants.
I was pleasantly surprised that its prize money for winning always a good incentive but with a 2 hour journey I don't know if my babies would make it intact.

If we go it will be one day, ELK is the same month so I can't imagine Baz can cope with another lost weekend 'cos of plants'
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Reading the download of the show schedule, it does specifically state on page 1 that the show is over two days 'till 5pm on Sunday. There is nothing in it that says the competitive show is for one day only.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am Reading the download of the show schedule, it does specifically state on page 1 that the show is over two days 'till 5pm on Sunday. There is nothing in it that says the competitive show is for one day only.
Stirling has just confirmed to me by phone that the Show is for 2 days, Saturday and Sunday, judged on the Saturday. The expectation is that the show plants are exhibited for the two days. He apologies for not make this clear on the Schedule.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks for clarifying Tony, at least we now know for sure.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias