Didymaotis Lapidiformis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Didymaotis Lapidiformis

Post by cactuspip »

I have tried raising this species from seed in the past, but always failed to get any germination.

I now have a rather different problem. My latest attempt has germinated like mustard and cress!

Knowing the reputation of this species I am appealing for any suggestions/advice on what I need to do to see the seedlings through to actual plants.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Didymaotis Lapidiformis

Post by topsy »

Hi,

Pete & Ken always used to offer this each year as nice seedlings, how many of those seedligns are still around - probably none!

It comes from the Tanqua Karoo along with Tanquana hilmari, archeri & prismaticus and any of these three are easier to grow than Didymaotus. I know of only two people who have been really successful with this plant getting it to flower in the UK and one of those always kept his plant in the apex of his greenhouse on a very high shelf. The plants need baking and as much sunshine as possible. As small seedlings which would of course be too much and my only advice here is to treat them as you would the Tanquanas.

Good luck. Suzanne
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by D^L »

I have a few of these from Mesa Garden seed. Several flower each year but they are quite small and, although they are alive I would not describe them as florishing.
I just grow them on the bench and treat them as autumn/winter growers.
I germinate in the autumn so I think your challenge is to keep them through the summer. I would try to shade a bit and keep moist till about mid winter, then dry off.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

I grew mine from Mesa Garden seed and exposed them to full sun at a very early stage. I have flowered them most years, growing in the south facing end of my greenhouse right next to the glass. They are ok but not flourishing either