Stapeliad thread

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Stapeliad thread

Post by Herts Mike »

I have Desmidorchis acutangula as opposed to Caralluma but names are forever changing. This is a 2 year old seedling.
IMG_20190524_0930420_rewind.jpg
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Lovely pictures jfabio. Persevere! They are worth it.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Mike, not sure I agree with you about your Trichocaulons (now Hoodias). I think the grey colour is more how they should look rather than green.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MikeDom »

Herts Mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:01 am I have Desmidorchis acutangula as opposed to Caralluma but names are forever changing. This is a 2 year old seedling.
IMG_20190524_0930420_rewind.jpg
Nice plant Mike; yes, I was using the old name.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Herts Mike wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:09 am Mike, not sure I agree with you about your Trichocaulons (now Hoodias). I think the grey colour is more how they should look rather than green.
They did look very attractive as a bright green with their brown spikes for contrast. I’ll take your advice and put them back int the greenhouse apex with the Ariocarpus so they can get maximum light and heat, rather than in light shade. How long till flowering do you think?
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Sorry to interrupt the conversation. Do all of the above plants especially, Caralluma, have pungent odours? I have some on my wish list having seen pictures. Do I need to reconsider?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi el48tel, even if they are, the wierd and wonderfull flowers make up for it. To me it's a succulents equivelant of a cactus with hooked spines lol. Just be carefull. Cheers
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

A lot of them do not have any smell. But keep at least 2m away from Piaranthus, Desmidorchis and Brachystelma barbarae. My wife has a small Huernia collection and they seem to be innocuous.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Just grow them eltel. Worry about the smell if and when it happens.

Incidentally many years ago I exhibited a full pan of flowering Piaranthus at a Birmingham show. It cleared the room.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Good job I didn't update my list then. Eyes open for a few ... they look like fascinating plants.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.