Flowering this evening

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Flowering this evening

Post by MalcolmP2 »

(tu)

This is a new acquisition for me only a couple of months ago but when I saw it in bud in the garden shop I couldnt resist because it will be my third night-flowering cactus ( I showed my old faithful giant one somewhere else, was it in my intro topic, and its flower is one of those in my avatar )
EDIT : Wrong! was in " Big cactus, nice flowers and please ID." viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168137

I meant to say in my previous post that there will be a second chance, you can see its other bud in the middle in my last pic., and nearly doubled in length in this one so everyone keep your fingers xxed :)

The good news is that Terry causing us to think carefully, sent me to close inspect my possible swelling seed pod and I find that it is aborting itself anyway (I think) (red1)

But better still, the wicked eye of the close-up lens reveals a possible third bud ! (red2) yea!

I have read a web page somewhere that they are supposed to flower profusely during the summer, is that your experience in our climate ?

763s2.jpg
763s2.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Make sure you save some seed - this plant, in my experience, tends to flower itself to death.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Terry, so that's why all my five plants died off so soon after flowering. Thanks for the tip, looks like Ralph has confirmed it too.. Cheers
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Yes, just allow a seed pod every couple of years to ensure that you maintain it in your collection and remove the rest. The red arrow in the above photo is to an aborted bud; the lower part of the large dead flowers develops into seed pods. Also, I have never seen this species branch, the multiple heads in the pot will all be separate plants; the Dutch grower has just put a pinch of seed into each cell.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 am Also, I have never seen this species branch, the multiple heads in the pot will all be separate plants; the Dutch grower has just put a pinch of seed into each cell.
Thanks Terry, I was thinking just the same myself.

I tend to think just leave them to do their own thing. A one-year seedling is still vigorous enough maybe if it flowers and sets seed to continue for another year or two still looking handsome.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 am Yes, just allow a seed pod every couple of years to ensure that you maintain it in your collection and remove the rest. The red arrow in the above photo is to an aborted bud; the lower part of the large dead flowers develops into seed pods. Also, I have never seen this species branch, the multiple heads in the pot will all be separate plants; the Dutch grower has just put a pinch of seed into each cell.
Thanks for the information. I will keep this in mind.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.