Youthful glory

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Youthful glory

Post by ragamala »

Proving the young generation can put on a show to rival the old-timers. And it's not too late for the old-timers to start seedraising.
seedlings.jpg
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Youthful glory

Post by KarlR »

Very nice display! Is it heliosa var. cajasensis with the red flowers?
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

There is Rebutia solisiodes with the large red flowers, and Rebutia theresae with the smaller on the left. The lilac-flowered plants I raised under the name azurduyensis but neither the flower colour nor body form match that name. Mistakes happen, mea culpa I expect.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Alan
A veritable cornucopia of colour.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

ragamala wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:31 pm There is Rebutia solisiodes with the large red flowers, and Rebutia theresae with the smaller on the left. The lilac-flowered plants I raised under the name azurduyensis but neither the flower colour nor body form match that name. Mistakes happen, mea culpa I expect.
solisioides and theresae are both forms of heliosa as well. I thought solisioides had orange flowers like heliosa, but I guess there could be red flowered collections.
ragamala
BCSS Member

Post by ragamala »

KarlR wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm
ragamala wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:31 pm There is Rebutia solisiodes with the large red flowers, and Rebutia theresae with the smaller on the left. The lilac-flowered plants I raised under the name azurduyensis but neither the flower colour nor body form match that name. Mistakes happen, mea culpa I expect.
solisioides and theresae are both forms of heliosa as well. I thought solisioides had orange flowers like heliosa, but I guess there could be red flowered collections.
The solisiodes came under provenance RH1024, FWIW. Seed source Piltz.
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

That certainly looks right! Very pretty plants for sure :smile:
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Yep, for those of us lacking in patience, Aylosteras are an excellent choice for raising from seed. I had several of my last year's seedlings flowering this year - that's about 15 months from seed!
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk