Epiphyllum at night....

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Epiphyllum at night....

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I don’t often go out at 11 pm to look at Epiphyllum, but tonight I did. This one, formerly named “Adolf Hitler” now “Sherman E Beahm” was in full glory.
In the daytime the filaments never appear so spaced out.
The flower is huge, about 8” across.
Attachments
BDB24FD7-DC02-4371-BB45-428E65EE6B24.jpeg
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Epiphyllum at night....

Post by juster »

That's really stunning- thanks for making the nighttime outing!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Amazing colour! Well worth a late night time trip to the greenhouse!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thanks for sharing your picture and story. A trip to the greenhouse is always worth making regardless of time of day. Surprises make the day. Pity that politics have to get in the way of naming plants.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Fantastic flower but who on earth named it Adolf Hitler?!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It's a Curt Knebel hybrid. From my understanding of the footnote on http://www.epikakteen.de/06%20epilitera ... klatur.htm he is also responsible for the name change together with that of 13 others marked with an * on that page.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:59 am Pity that politics have to get in the way of naming plants.
You can not be serious! In 1935 it may have seemed cute to name a plant that way. But if anyone names a hybrid after Nigel Farrage they are likely to have more than a milkshake coming from me.

More interesting or relevant (if you don't want me to continue a rant) is that this plant appears to have a far darker flower than any I have seen from the web supposedly of this cultivar. Which suggests the whole cultivar naming and their stability is a nonsense.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Ha ha, and I thought that any mention of the H word brought a thread (or flame war) to an abrupt end, not start one ? Leastways that is how it was in usenet days :lol:
Phil_SK wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 pmhttp://www.epikakteen.de/06%20epilitera ... klatur.htm
on that page.
Please can I have a 222, Manfred von Richthoffen, as was. :grin:
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:58 pm Ha ha, and I thought that any mention of the H word brought a thread (or flame war) to an abrupt end, not start one ? Leastways that is how it was in usenet days :lol:
Phil_SK wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 pmhttp://www.epikakteen.de/06%20epilitera ... klatur.htm
on that page.
No but I can let you have a Goring! ;-) Actually that's a lot of bull. Sorry no umlauts to hand......

Did you see too Ilse Hess, and Goebbels? Wessel and Mussolini?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:38 pm
MalcolmP2 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:58 pm Ha ha, and I thought that any mention of the H word brought a thread (or flame war) to an abrupt end, not start one ? Leastways that is how it was in usenet days :lol:
on that page.
No but I can let you have a Goring! ;-) Actually that's a lot of bull. Sorry no umlauts to hand......

Did you see too Ilse Hess, and Goebbels? Wessel and Mussolini?
Can do it on my Cellphone

Göring .... easy .. hold the "o" down and a drop down menu appears from which you can select all of the modified "o" characters.

Back to hybrid naming .... I suppose if you are flavour of the month you get a chance. Slip from favour and ........
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.