Diatomaceous earth

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Diatomaceous earth

Post by Cactusgirl »

I am now starting to 're pot the few cacti and succulents collected to date. I have made my own mixture of compost up after reading on here others recipes. I'm using molar clay (the oil spillage granules) grit and 25% JI number 2. However to this mixture I'm adding diatomaceous earth. This is a powder like product which kills bugs and I add this in my horses feed to kill intestinal worms. I figured if it's good enough for my horse it is ok for my plants. Does anyone have any experience of using this for their plants?. The packaging indeed does state it kills bugs on foliage etc
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Diatomaceous earth

Post by el48tel »

My daughter is a senior pest control technician. She uses this for control of insects in places like museums where chemical treatment is not possible. I'd think it worthwhile trying it.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I believe moler clay is diatomaceous earth.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Herts Mike wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm I believe moler clay is diatomaceous earth.
It is one of the varieties so the dust from sanicat pink cat litter might have its uses but perhaps the mixing and heat treatment to make the granules destroys the physical structure that makes it work as an insecticide.
Cactusgirl
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Cactusgirl »

Thanks all for the above discussion. Very interesting to know that this is used where chemicals are impractical. As it's a fine powder it seems to mix in well with my compost mixture. I guess when I come to 're pot I will see then if it has been instrumental in preventing root meals!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

It is a chemical as it is the cell walls from diatoms which are unique as they are made from silica. It always annoys me when "organic" gardeners claim to use no chemicals as all plants require chemicals to live and everything is made from chemicals
GregoryBulmer
BCSS Chairman
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Chairman

Post by GregoryBulmer »

Jim_Mercer wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:44 pm It is a chemical as it is the cell walls from diatoms which are unique as they are made from silica. It always annoys me when "organic" gardeners claim to use no chemicals as all plants require chemicals to live and everything is made from chemicals
Hear, hear - if it contains atoms it's a chemical!
Greg
BCSS Chairman
Member since 2012
Cold hardy cacti and slow growers.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by D^L »

I see this differently. Yes everything physical is made of chemicals. But the word has more than one legitimate use. It has also come to mean, in this context, materials where the "chemical action" causes the effect. So these are poisons, rather than having a physical effect. I have no problem with this use of the word to distinguish methods.☺
Make sure you use a mask if using diatomous earth. It can contain crystaline silica that is very damaging to the lungs. Whether it is "chemical" action or not it can harm you!
Cheers
David Lambie
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

D^L wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:02 am I see this differently. Yes everything physical is made of chemicals. But the word has more than one legitimate use. It has also come to mean, in this context, materials where the "chemical action" causes the effect. So these are poisons, rather than having a physical effect. I have no problem with this use of the word to distinguish methods.☺
Make sure you use a mask if using diatomous earth. It can contain crystaline silica that is very damaging to the lungs. Whether it is "chemical" action or not it can harm you!
Cheers
David Lambie
Yes!
My understanding of the process is that the silicates in the diatoms interfere with the respiration and metabolism of insects so it's physio-chemical in nature.
WRT: The use of the word "chemical(s)" .... perhaps the insertion of the adjectives "synthetic" or "not naturally occurring" might be appropriate
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

I read on the internet that it works by the silica cutting the grubs/worms/mealy bugs and the pest dies, which is why I use it. I have not been using it long enough to say if it is working but I feel it is one more way of trying to keep the pests away.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias