Spring BH flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Spring BH flowers

Post by Phil_SK »

I seem to have gone away over Spring Bank Holiday fairly regularly over recent years and manage to come back to loads of gone-over flowers! I thought that I ought to make the most of being at home this time around and take some plant photos. I find I'm easily captivated by expanses of aylosteras or sulcos at this time of year, not helped by my grouping of related plants together where possible. This means that not only do I really have to force myself to look at some of the plants within the big flower groupings as individuals but also to open my eyes to some of the things doing their stuff well away from the main attention-grabbers.
There has been a steady stream of lobivias for a while, and most of the earliest flowerers, maximiliana and pentlandii, are mostly over now. A contrasting pair of L. maximiliana ssp caespitosa are still flowering - one large and orange-red, the other small and pink-violet.
BDH62/3
BDH62/3
WR735
WR735
Elsewhere, a nice L. pugionacantha has produced its first couple of flowers.
JK248
JK248
This Echinopsis haematantha is one of my favourites. Like all of its ilk, the flowers are quite 'full' with lots of petals. The plant body has a look of an Aylostera pygmaea.
Lau569
Lau569
Another flower with plenty of petals - too many - is that of the peculiar Chamaecereus silvestrii f. crassicaulis cristata. The flowers are often slightly cristate and are self-fertile. I've only sown the seed once but all the seedlings became cristate too. I need to try growing a plant to a reasonable size to make the most of it, since it's a bit tatty and mite damaged at the moment.
crasscris
crasscris
From fat flowers to thin flowers - this Cleistocactus smaragdiflorus is just starting to open its flowers.
azerensisFR836
azerensisFR836
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Spring BH flowers

Post by el48tel »

Super pics - thanks for sharing
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

The Cleistocactus is in with a load of other Tall Things, including a few Corryocactus. This one crops up in seed lists now and then, as squarrosus, though I don't know how well identified plants in cultivation are.
OST84273
OST84273
A number of opuntias are coming into flower. As well as my South American 'little' opuntias I do quite like some of the 'proper' ones... I only wish they weren't so big! Here's O. basilaris. It's flowering for the first time in a while, now recovered after a period of neglect.
basilaris
basilaris
A proper one from South America next, O. sulphurea. I've tried to grow these from seed a few times but have only once succeeded with some sown in 2012 of which six germinated and this one flowered for the first time last year. I'm hanging on to all six hoping that one of them will produce wiggly spines as it gets older. I was surprised that one was ready to flower as I'd say that they're all still producing fairly juvenile pads.
KFF1140
KFF1140
This Maihueniopsis hickenii is just starting to open and looks quite red, though I know it isn't really.
hickenii exMK
hickenii exMK
Really red are these Tunilla. At first I though they were two flowers on the same plant, just one a day older than the other but on closer inspection they're different plants - labelled picardoi and retrospinosa. There are lots and lots of Tunilla buds waiting...
Tun pic&retro
Tun pic&retro
Finally, outside, and walked past daily, is this Sedum furfuraceum enjoying direct sunshine. It's a right pain to weed, though!
sedumfurfuraceum
sedumfurfuraceum
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Very enjoyable and interesting Phil, thanks!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

It seems like a good year for opuntias - I'm getting more than I had last year.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by conolady »

Beautiful photos and flowers.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

It's been rainy here this morning and mostly dull for the rest of the day so no new pics. I'm hoping for a bit of sunshine between the showers that are forecast for tomorrow.