Lucky find in Portugal...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
davidfair
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Lucky find in Portugal...

Post by davidfair »

My wife and I are just back from Porto in Portugal which I'd thoroughly recommend as a beautiful city with lots of history, art, cuisine, scenery and gardens. One day (Saturday 18th May) we thought we'd pay a visit to the Botanical Gardens and amazingly by chance we stumbled on the inaugural cactus and succulent mart being held by the the "Cactos e Suculenta Clube" of Portugal. About 10 Portuguese nurseries were selling some beautiful plants in beautiful surroundings. The secretary of the society said there has been a booming interest in these plants in Portugal over the last few years. Nearly all the nursery owners and the customers in the mart were aged under 40, unlike the situation in the UK!
The club plans to have marts every 6 months alternating between Lisbon and Porto.
David and Nic
Attachments
one of the stalls
one of the stalls
Three aeonium cultivars, a couple of echeverias, 3 Adromischus herrei cultivars, 3 Crassula hemisphaerica, a variegated ledebouria and a tricoloured tradescantia came back with us.
Three aeonium cultivars, a couple of echeverias, 3 Adromischus herrei cultivars, 3 Crassula hemisphaerica, a variegated ledebouria and a tricoloured tradescantia came back with us.
choosing sweets in the sweetie shop
choosing sweets in the sweetie shop
haworthia collection on display
haworthia collection on display
more of the stalls
more of the stalls
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lucky find in Portugal...

Post by jfabiao »

Thank you, David. If you had gone all the way down the path to the left on your 3rd photo, you would have find me and we could have chatted. ;)
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Plenty of non-cactus succulents there :)
Cheshire, UK
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Reminds me of the cactus stall in Dvur Kralove Zoo in the Czech Republic.
http://www.kaktusy-dk.cz/english/index.php
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

iann wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:29 pm Plenty of non-cactus succulents there :)
Cacti people are still residual over here, the salads reign. It is however a lot better than, say, 5-10 years ago, when we were precious few. I hope there will be plenty of us left when the fad passes.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Kees
Registered Guest

Post by Kees »

Fads come and go, cacti and succulents are here to stay.