More plant rustling  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

More plant rustling

Post by Terry S. »

The profits to be made from some succulent plants in the Far East are certainly leading to threats to the plants in the wild. This press release from the South African police has recently appeared:

https://www.saps.gov.za/newsroom/msspee ... ?nid=20625

I believe that the plants in question were mainly conophytums.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: More plant rustling

Post by Stuart »

Glad something is being done but a £7000 fine between four isn't going to be a huge deterrent in view of the prices some of these plants are selling for.'

Stuart
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I think the fine was per person, plus there was the "donation" to Nature Conservation. However the amount of the fine was still VERY low in relation to the price those plants would have made in China.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by conolady »

It’s a disgrace. Even more so since I can see remarkably little condemnation of it on FaceBook plant groups when the Chinese ‘replies’ were posted. Mind you, there are obviously habitat-collected plants often for sale at shows and sales here from a well-known seller and folk are still buying them, however flimsy the explanations of how they were come by...
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Post by Echinocactus123 »

In my opinion, as they are endangered the punishment should be more than a fine and a year or two in jail. The plants are just as living as us.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Re: More plant rustling  Solved

Post by conolady »

Echinocactus123 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:09 pm In my opinion, as they are endangered the punishment should be more than a fine and a year or two in jail. The plants are just as living as us.
Exactly. Sam Shi and his buddies took thousands of plants worth £1.5 million, the paper said. A mutual ‘friend’ confirmed this on FB. The locals were quoted as saying that they had been very good for local business!
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

I think first estimation of plants' value was around 1 000 000 rands (70 000 USD?). They took thousands and thousand and thousands of conophytums from the field...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/