Small Opuntia ID’s please.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mark07
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Small Opuntia ID’s please.

Post by Mark07 »

I’m wondering if anyone would kindly ID these small opuntia for me please? I picked them up from The Cactus Shop in Devon on my way back from Cornwall (great shop by the way!) but most didn’t have any labels.

First one I’m pretty sure is incorrectly labelled:
FBDA0D79-8781-4909-B3CA-5120B1C463F5.jpeg
This one i’ve ID’d myself but just wanted to double check :)
F280083E-4775-4363-8067-03EDA749A9DD.jpeg
And the remaining without labels:
D1626478-0468-4A30-9513-6505AC97E7A5.jpeg
8915BC0E-18CB-448E-9C72-2B04250E6FA2.jpeg
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Small Opuntia ID’s please.

Post by Phil_SK »

The first one is probably O. bergeriana, which is said to grow to 3.5m, so not small!
The second, yes, that's an OK name and it's what Royston originally treated it as. However, if you read Paul Hoxey's three-part review of C. sphaerica (available via this page you might decide that Cumulopuntia leucophaea is a more appropriate name.
Really not sure about the others - O. fragilis and O. debreczyi??
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

Phil_SK wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:24 pm The first one is probably O. bergeriana, which is said to grow to 3.5m, so not small!
The second, yes, that's an OK name and it's what Royston originally treated it as. However, if you read Paul Hoxey's three-part review of C. sphaerica (available via this page you might decide that Cumulopuntia leucophaea is a more appropriate name.
Really not sure about the others - O. fragilis and O. debreczyi??
Thanks for the help Phil. I’ll definitely check out the review via the link. Thank you.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Third one looks like a Tunilla to me.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Did the second one come with the collection data if not it would be wrong to put it on the label (imo)
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I would go with Tunilla sp. for the third one.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

habanerocat wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:36 pm Third one looks like a Tunilla to me.
Chris in Leeds wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm Did the second one come with the collection data if not it would be wrong to put it on the label (imo)
It didn’t but looking at the Cactus Shop website it’s the only one that looks like it. You’re right though, I’ll take the collection number off the label.
Mike P wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 pm I would go with Tunilla sp. for the third one.
Thanks, Tunilla sp. it is. :)
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Mark
No.1, Phil could be right with O. bergeriana but the spines are not golden, so I would go with Opuntia soederstramiana a very common species in Southern Spain after it was brought back from Ecuador to act as fencing and animal fodder in the hot summers ( your plant looks just like mine ) the name O. occidentalis is given to a species that lives in Southern California and on 1 or 2 islands off the coast but that species has yellow flowers, and is thought to be a form of O. engelmannii

No.2, I agree with Phil that is RKH 59, the beautiful deep cream/caramel wool on the areoles is the giveaway. the other forms of sphaerica / berteri have paler or white wool.

No.3, I agree a type of Tunilla / Airampoa and I would go with one of the forms of Airampoa corrugata. Tony Roberts will be able to tell you, he sold me a plant just like this two weeks ago at the TSG meeting.

No.4 I have this plant under the name Opuntia fragilis var. denudata
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:42 pm Hi Mark
No.1, Phil could be right with O. bergeriana but the spines are not golden, so I would go with Opuntia soederstramiana a very common species in Southern Spain after it was brought back from Ecuador to act as fencing and animal fodder in the hot summers ( your plant looks just like mine ) the name O. occidentalis is given to a species that lives in Southern California and on 1 or 2 islands off the coast but that species has yellow flowers, and is thought to be a form of O. engelmannii

No.2, I agree with Phil that is RKH 59, the beautiful deep cream/caramel wool on the areoles is the giveaway. the other forms of sphaerica / berteri have paler or white wool.

No.3, I agree a type of Tunilla / Airampoa and I would go with one of the forms of Airampoa corrugata. Tony Roberts will be able to tell you, he sold me a plant just like this two weeks ago at the TSG meeting.

No.4 I have this plant under the name Opuntia fragilis var. denudata
Hi Ray, that’s great information. Many thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

3. Yes I would favour corrugata, let’s see a picture please when the buds open.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)