Stones, pebbles, cracked terra at the bottom of pots worsens the drainage.  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
D^L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Stones, pebbles, cracked terra at the bottom of pots worsens the drainage.

Post by D^L »

One we return to from time to time and I hold a different view to some.
If a pot is too deep for a plant or if I want to reduce water I fill the bottom of the pot with stones; a third or half way up. It has no impact on drainage, water draining out of the bottom of plastic pots. They don't drain better or worse.
But it reduces the volume of soil that stores water when I go round with the hose.
At the bottom of the fine material there is a region where the compost is saturated after watering. All the air volume is filled with water. This is a result of the surface tension at the bottom of the water layer holding back a certain height of water. So raising the base of the compost moves the saturated region up the pot, closer to the plants.
However, my pots are usually full of roots. Down to the bottom and round and round. So wherever the saturated layer is there will be root. In fact with larger stones at the bottom, the majority of roots are in a relatively dry region.
Just my view.
David Lambie
Bristol
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

Yes, kitchen paper towel works great. Once I started using it I've never looked back.
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

I use newspaper - no problems.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Interesting topic, thanks.

Kitchen paper for me too.
Pebbles etc can add weight at the bottom for stability ?wot think?
Two refs have been made to previous discussions, if anyone has a(the) link(s) that would be good, ta.

Instead of a drill to add holes in plastic pots I use a hot soldering iron (another hobby, electronics :) ), with a conical tip the size of hole is easily varied. (usual admonishments apply : seek assistance from an adult, do it in well ventilated place :cool: )
Last edited by MalcolmP2 on Fri May 31, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bonsai2 »

Terry, thanks for the advice.

I currently use a plastic mesh at the bottom of the pot which stops soil coming through and enables free drainage. ( I just bought 5 x A4 sheets of plastic mesh for £3.50 on Ebay. Much less expensive than others on offer as it comes from China.)
Bonsai2
(Member)
Bonsai2
BCSS Member
Branch: FIFE

Post by Bonsai2 »

Thank you all for your comments.

I will also bear the paper over the holes in mind.

Thank you kohinoor for the YouTube video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ego2FkuQwxc

I also found the article below from a Master Gardener in the USA.

"Plants like good drainage, especially those in containers. If water pools around plant roots too long, root rot will damage and possibly even kill the plant. For too long, gardeners have been covering the bottom of containers with gravel, pieces of broken pottery, Styrofoam packing material and the like. Do not do this . . . only potting mix should be put into a plant container.
Instead of water draining immediately through the soil, then into gravel or other material and on out the drainage holes, water will completely saturate the soil so that no air spaces are left. This could take a long time and in the interim, plant roots will be starved for oxygen."
Bonsai2
(Member)
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Either newspaper or kitchen roll for me in plastic pots. Terracotta pots I use a pebble or small broken piece of old pot, avoiding pots which are too deep. Always works a treat.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The technical term for what D.L. is talking about above is "perched water table". For any particular soil mix, the compost retains water for a fixed distance above the bottom of the column of soil after it has been watered. So in a shallow pot, the soil saturated with water is close to the bottom of the plant whereas in a deep pot the saturated compost is much further away from the bottom of the plant.

Also if you change the soil mix within a pot, e.g. put richer compost in the bottom and gritty soil at the top, the interface will impede drainage.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Capture1.JPG
Just come across this idea in http://centralarizonacactus.org newsletter
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Used newspaper is cheaper, so favoured in my part of Yorkshire
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525