Waiting for a flower ... then two appear

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Waiting for a flower ... then two appear

Post by el48tel »

PSX_20190602_213300.jpg
PSX_20190602_212942.jpg
I have been waiting for the Setiechinopsis to flower for a few days, but thought the Echinopsis might flower not quite as soon. But a couple of moments ago they were both spotted as the sun was getting lower in the sky.

The Echinopsis is labelled as gemmata but I think wrongly.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Re: Waiting for a flower ... then two appear

Post by el48tel »

And this morning the Setiechinopsis has closed for ever .... and the Echinopsis is at its best
PSX_20190603_100851.jpg
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Beautiful flowers.
sechjoh
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by sechjoh »

Amazing flowers! (tu)
/Christer DPP4, Capture One 10, CombineZM
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

And I thought that the pink Echinopsis flower was big until the one sitting next to it flowered .....
PSX_20190603_211337.jpg
PSX_20190603_211623.jpg
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Beautiful flowers, but the white one is really special, thanks for sharing.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Hi el48tel,

Nice flowers on your two Echinopsis.

We’re either scented, did you hybridise the two?
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AndrewB wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 am Hi el48tel,

Nice flowers on your two Echinopsis.

We’re either scented, did you hybridise the two?
Andrew
Yes did try to hybridise these two together.
However .... (yes, you saw that coming)
1) at that time I was only 10 months into collecting and growing cacti formally, and my skill set was low.
2) the Echinopsis I thought was a gemmata, because that's what it said on the label, and I did realise that the label was incorrect, and I did find out subsequently that it was AbbeyBrook 'Electric' rather than a species.
3) 'Electric' produces fertile pollen but is otherwise sterile, so would not be pollinated by the Setiechinopsis.
4) I missed the pollination window on the Setiechinopsis.

It's on the "to-do" list again for this year. Since then I have collected a few more skills and a few more hybrids, some of which flowered last year and produced seed. I am too old to have a plan for breeding fine hybrids to finance a new lifestyle, but am sufficiently fascinated to make sense of producing something which pleases me. I am hoping that the random seedlings planted last year and the seeds I will plant in a couple of weeks will give me some satisfaction in that direction.

I have some excess seeds if you want any. edds has had some. PM me if you do.
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Hi El48tel,

I expect you will derive an immense amount of satisfaction from seeing a plant you have hybridised, then grown, finally flower.

On the duration thing, look on the bright side, your not into Clivias! I’ve got seedlings of those at 7 coming on 8 years old and still a year or so away from flowering. My first hybridised seedlings are probably three or four years off flowering.

An Echinopsis can do seed to flower in three or four years. :smile:

Setiechinopsis is also a plant I would like to try hybridising, but it is preferentially self fertile, and not easily receptive by Echinopsis from what I have been told. Still, it is definitely possible!
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AndrewB wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:15 am Hi El48tel,

I expect you will derive an immense amount of satisfaction from seeing a plant you have hybridised, then grown, finally flower.

On the duration thing, look on the bright side, your not into Clivias! I’ve got seedlings of those at 7 coming on 8 years old and still a year or so away from flowering. My first hybridised seedlings are probably three or four years off flowering.

An Echinopsis can do seed to flower in three or four years. :smile:

Setiechinopsis is also a plant I would like to try hybridising, but it is preferentially self fertile, and not easily receptive by Echinopsis from what I have been told. Still, it is definitely possible!
Andrew
I have a small portion of the seed remaining, which you are more than welcome to share. I have a few other seeds from other crosses.
Thank you for the challenge .... Setiechinopsis will be the subject on another brush waggle