Biodegradeable plastic from cactus juice?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Biodegradeable plastic from cactus juice?

Post by MikeDom »

Read/watch all about it in this article from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-4 ... ctus-juice
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Re: Biodegradeable plastic from cactus juice?

Post by ragamala »

MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

I’m happy to eat the plastic made from Lophophora🤪
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Good stuff

As we require more and more environment-friendly solutions to our problems, I can see cacti being used more and more in developments of this kind
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

The great thing about this technology is that it is not modern. The reagents may be 21st century but the process is probably as old as civilisation on the South American continent.
Modified plant and animal polymers have been used for centuries in Europe too. Milk casein was used to make buttons in the 17th century.
Excellent news for the economies of central America as they could create products we will need to purchase.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

More excellent news - Trump has done a U-turn about Mexican tariffs! After Brexit and becoming USA's 51st state we can look forward to cheap cactus plastic imports? ;-)