Opuntia seeds - update.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Opuntia seeds - update.

Post by MalcolmP2 »

The bigger picture of my Opuntia experiment :)
1210166.jpg
1210166.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Two things I find quite interesting :
(1) The pot on the right had seeds which were exposed to sunlight for an afternoon, the 'flash' method.
On the left the same fresh seed from the same fruit at the same time in the same compost.
The black and brown pots were chosen so that I would remember which was which !
Approx 15 seeds each.

Ok so it is one experiment which will need to be repeated for statistics, but it is suggestive of an influence !?
Should be repeated, not least to eliminate observer bias - such as getting confused about what he was doing and putting all seeds in one pot only ! I was really worried that anno domini had struck when initially none at all came up in the brown pot, so I was mighty relieved when that one seedling appeared proving that I had not gone totally bonkers !

(2) The second thing, , , my puny Opuntia are about 3/4" wing-tip to tip, (4" pot) whereas Tony's robusta are just a tad under 2" !

I think I am a bit late this year to start tephro etc sowings, plus the domestic staff are beginning to raise eyebrows at the proliferation cacti and other succulents :) Perhaps I'll just buy a mini opuntia plant or two for now lol!

I must soon decide when to prick-out those seedlings, or just nip some off to give room , , , ,
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:15 pm

I must soon decide when to prick-out those seedlings, or just nip some off to give room , , , ,
Leave them alone for now, maybe a few months, is my advice. As always, best left alone until they are really crowded. Even then, the strongest will make it....
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

ragamala wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:20 pm Leave them alone for now, maybe a few months, is my advice. As always, best left alone until they are really crowded. Even then, the strongest will make it....
(tu)
Ah yes, "Darwin rules, selectively" !
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm
ragamala wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:20 pm Leave them alone for now, maybe a few months, is my advice. As always, best left alone until they are really crowded. Even then, the strongest will make it....
(tu)
Jest ye carefully .... there's much truth in that. Some seedlings do actively kill off their siblings ... saguarro for one ... so that some growers thin their plants or transplant them on early to maximise the germination.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

el48tel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm
(tu)
Jest ye carefully .... there's much truth in that. Some seedlings do actively kill off their siblings ... saguarro for one ... so that some growers thin their plants or transplant them on early to maximise the germination.
I spy another experiment in the offing !
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:42 pm
el48tel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm
(tu)
I spy another experiment in the offing !
:grin:
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.