Carpobritus identification

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Andyh
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD

Carpobritus identification

Post by Andyh »

Can any one help...I thought that the cutting I took off a Tenby beach would be the yellow flowered carpobritus edulis but its now flowered and is a much nicer pink flowered species. On line theres several options but Im not narrowing it down. The leaves are 5 to 7 cm long grey green and often curved. Triangular in cross section. Flower about 6cm across. Any mesemb experts out there? Id read that edulis has invaded uk coastal areas...but this is clearly not edulis. Ive since seen edulis on Jersey and its very different.
Attachments
20190601_130543.jpg
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Carpobritus identification

Post by iann »

Carpobrotus edulis flowers can be yellow or pink, but smaller deep pink flowers may belong to C. chilensis. The two can form hybrid swarms, so don't get too hung up on the name. C. chilensis is overall smaller, especially the flowers, and considered less invasive.
Cheshire, UK
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Andyh »

Thank you.
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by jfabiao »

Just to make matters more confusing, there is another name attributed to the plants that occur in sand dunes in southern europe - Carpobrotus acinaciformis. I have no idea of the validity of such name or, if they are ideed different species, how to tell them apart. As Ian said, I woulnd't get too attached to a name.

Incidentally, there is one single place I can remember here in Portual where these plants form fruits and set seed, and they are indeed edible (although why would you want to eat them is another story...).
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

There are two worrying aspects here.
1 Is it getting warmer so that Mediterranean plants can become established?
2 Escapees from gardens can cause havoc to existing environmental balance .. Knotweed being a classic example. We seem to be laissez faire in comparison to some countries.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Carpobrotus is a long-standing problem in some part of the UK. On the Lizard Peninsula in Cornawall it has been throttling much of the indigenous vegetation and measures have been taken to try and remove it. It is certainly known to be a difficult weed in this country.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:26 am There are two worrying aspects here.
1 Is it getting warmer so that Mediterranean plants can become established?
2 Escapees from gardens can cause havoc to existing environmental balance .. Knotweed being a classic example. We seem to be laissez faire in comparison to some countries.
I don't think Carpobrotus would survive long in Leeds, but maybe could have got through last winter in a sheltered spot with good drainage. Filey, maybe, if we keep getting warm winters ...
Cheshire, UK
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:26 am Escapees from gardens can cause havoc to existing environmental balance .. Knotweed being a classic example. We seem to be laissez faire in comparison to some countries.
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) I understand it is an offence to plant or cause to grow in the wild plants listed on an invasive species schedule of the Act. This list includes Carpobrotus edulis.

This makes it rather questionable for Alan Titchmarsh to recommend C. edulis for beachside gardens here! -

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ga ... tal-garden
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ragamala wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 am
el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:26 am Escapees from gardens can cause havoc to existing environmental balance .. Knotweed being a classic example. We seem to be laissez faire in comparison to some countries.
Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) I understand it is an offence to plant or cause to grow in the wild plants listed on an invasive species schedule of the Act. This list includes Carpobrotus edulis.

This makes it rather questionable for Alan Titchmarsh to recommend C. edulis for beachside gardens here! -

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ga ... tal-garden
Exactly
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.