Strange lithops seedlings  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Strange lithops seedlings

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello,
I've planted some lithops lesliei seeds but the seedlings just don't look like what I would expect: a smaller seedling with more fleshy succulent leaves. Are they normal, or are lithops lesliei seedlings naturally like this?

Thank you
Attachments
15596782632443211757354715869224.jpg
15596781864885747017206025099138.jpg
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Strange lithops seedlings

Post by Aiko »

It definately looks like a mesems seedling.
And I think this could still well be Lithops. They will turn to a sphere soon enough.
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON

Re: Strange lithops seedlings

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Thank you Aiko, when they first germinated they didn't look like they where even succulents.
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Strange lithops seedlings  Solved

Post by iann »

L. lesliei, and some of the other large yellow-flowered species, typically germinate like mushrooms, not balls. They may appear to turn into more of a ball shape as the true leaves develop inside and they hunker down into the soil, but they're really just turning into an inverted cone buried up to its neck ;)
Cheshire, UK