Simple act which could boost membership

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
davidfair
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Simple act which could boost membership

Post by davidfair »

At the Harrogate Spring Flower Show, we put a BCSS membership leaflet into every bag when we sold any plants. Obviously there's no point in doing this if it's only pre-existing members attending an event, however there are loads of events coming up soon where the general public will be buying from us. They won't just pick up one of our leaflets so let's remember to give them a membership application form when they buy a plant.
OK the picture is irrelevant.....
David
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_10c9.jpeg
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: Simple act which could boost membership

Post by colser »

Great idea. I would agree, simple but effective
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I know it sounds simple but - I've been asking for these for years - just a friendly leaflet with 50% cultivation details and 50% about the BCSS - to add in with everything I sell to the public. Our new chairman did tell me something is in the pipeline so maybe something might finally happen.

Stuart
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

There is indeed a booklet in the editing stage.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
brianc
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by brianc »

Chelmsford branch hand out basic growing instruction leaflets at our sales events with plants purchased, it would
be nice to hand out membership forms supplied from the society.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Any marketing person will tell you that simple is best .... and just keeping the brand in the public eye.
David's idea does exactly that at minimal cost
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Funny you should say that David; hubby and I are going to suggest marketing material to our branch. We have a few ideas in mind; leaflets, pens, pull up banner etc. For our business we find people like small note pads or post it notes and pens, something easy to carry around when given it but something they will use. We had some posters made which were relatively inexpensive in addition to our other marketing material.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Did this years ago when I was Leeds secretary and then the zone started giving branches an advertising budget not much but just printing up a little bit with branch and national details and basic plant watering etc and putting in with plants when people bought them
Don't know if the zone still does it
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/