Cactus flower duration

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus flower duration

Post by gerald »

I was wondering which cactus flowers last the longest.

Pretty much all of mine wilt within 24-48 hours no matter what the species, though small-flowered Mammillaria can last a week or more.

It's a shame when you have a plant for 365 days a year yet it's only in flower for 2 of them!
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Cactus flower duration

Post by Aiko »

Are you talking about individual flowers, or are you talking about the flowering range of an individual plant from the first to the last flower?

My Strombocactus disciformis flowers for a few weeks. I think its individual flower lasts for at least a week. I never timed them, though...
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

In the garden ....
Peonies last just a few days
Fruit tree blossoms for a couple of days although the blossom distribution of one tree or one orchard may last a fortnight.
Crocus .. daffodil ... tulip .....

I have discovered cactus this past year .... cactus flowere recently .... but the body shapes, spination, size range, body colour, texture, body patterns etc are just as fascinating.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Individual flowers

I have some plants that continuously flower for several weeks if not months, but the individual flowers themselves last for just a matter of a few days
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Like Aiko, I suspect that individual flowers can last up to a week or thereabouts. With other species it can be down to a day, or one night even.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has studied this across a range of genera.

I do recall seeing recently the suggestion that if a flower was pollinated it would decide its job was done and close up shop, whereas if unpollinated it would stay open longer in hope and expectation. A nice thought there.

Main thing is to enjoy them when they are at their best, however long that is. I only worry about this if a flower is open on a dull day and I want to see it in better light, even if I'm not much of a photographer.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

Echinocereus can last a good few days, perhaps two weeks, which is one of the reasons I like them.
On the downside all the flowers normally open and wilt together.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Not sure how long an individual flower has lasted but this Mammillaria chionocephala f. aramberra had some flowers open 10th May (not sure when first one opened)
10th May Mammillaria chionocephala f. aramberra
10th May Mammillaria chionocephala f. aramberra
and it is still flowering today with more unopened buds
6th June Mammillaria chionocephala f. aramberra
6th June Mammillaria chionocephala f. aramberra
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Flowers :shock:

If the plant has flowered for you before the weather will be bright and sunny for excellent pictures.
If the plant has never flowered before it will be cloudy for days.

If the plant has flowered for you before it will stay open for days.
If the plant has never flowered before it will only open for one day.

If the plant has flowered for you before it will be near the door.
If the plant has never flowered before it will right at the back of the greenhouse in the most inaccessible place that you cannot reach without moving loads of trays.

If the plant has flowered for you before they will open at weekend.
If the plant has never flowered before it will be hovering Friday/Saturday/Sunday and then open on Monday (when you are at work.....).

If family members point out a plant is flowering, it is always one that hasn't flowered before and it will have either already closed, or be so far back in the greenhouse that one of the above points comes into play.

You are also more likely to drop something on (i.e. the camera), or knock over (thus damaging the petals) any plant that hasn't flowered before for you before you take the picture.

Never mind there is always next year.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How true...
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yup
:lol:
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.