puna clavaroides

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
conolady
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EXETER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: puna clavaroides

Post by conolady »

That is a truly wonderful plant, Tina. I’m in awe.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi all and thanks for the comments.
Ross I don't know the age, it was from a branch members collection that was sold off several years ago, his name was Jim Lewis. I'll ask for some more information next time I see David K.
This will be its 3rd repot, my plan is to let it dehydrate and then repot it, as when its a bit dry all the 'fingers' ( what are they called ??) are a little more stable if not I spend a lot of time picking them up or the dogs chew them.

Its quite a thirsty plant and when its dehydrated actually flops in the pot, water and within half hour the branches are lifting up. Its quite unusual as it only has one stem none of the arms root down naturally unless detached form the body.
What is a shame is it's never been to a show lots of my bigger plants are just happy staying at home :lol: .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
daniel82
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by daniel82 »

That plant is stunning, I especially like the fact that the growth all looks regular and no misshapen joints.
I haven't found any of my pterocactus to scorch but they certainly drop joints with no encouragment. They root where ever they fall, whilst doing some repotting yesterday I found one squeezed into a pot with a matucana.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

No, I dont prune my Pteros, at least deliberately...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MattGibbs
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by MattGibbs »

I thought in habitat these were naturally deciduous depending on conditions where the plant shrunk down or severed some of the top growth and the tuberous part hibernated then grew new 'heads' when conditions were right?
Bradford Branch Show Secretary
BCSS Zone 3 Secretary
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

MattGibbs wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:42 pm I thought in habitat these were naturally deciduous depending on conditions where the plant shrunk down or severed some of the top growth and the tuberous part hibernated then grew new 'heads' when conditions were right?
Plants in cultivation, especially grafted specimens, don't behave like this.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Here's my less-than-magnificent specimen of Maihueniopsis clavarioides, obtained as cutting in 2007, now in a 3" pot. :???:
P6090219.jpg
Thankfully, I have a second plant that's looking a little better!
P6090226.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Three days ago I was interested and surprised to see my plant showing a bud - fingers crossed. This plant I have had for must be going on 40 years and it used to sit there doing nothing but look sickly. After I moved house I repotted it, and in its new home it has over the last three years or so more than doubled in size and looks vigorous and active now. Not having seen one in flower before I was interested to see where the bud has appeared. Curious.

Apologies to Tina for my humble pic which fades into nothing compared with your fabulous plant.
Attachments
clav.JPG
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Perhaps they are slow at the junior stage as they have a large tuberous root to grow, my plant does seem to like a regular repot.
Here's Tephrocactus geometricus flowering its head off, its a shame the body of this plant is so ugly with marks on.
tephrocactus geometricus fl 6_19.jpg
and maihueniopsis mandragora flowering for the first time.
maihueniopsis mandragora 6_19.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

Tina wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:17 pm Here's my large plant giving an amazing show last month, it could do with another repot but its not easy and so much falls off its a bit of a nightmare.
puna clavaroides 5_19.jpg

puna clavaroides fl 5_19.jpg

puna clavaroides fl+ 5_19.jpg
That is rather fine Tina and no I would not fancy re potting it either.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554