Newbie question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Newbie question

Post by wildedges »

Sorry this is probably obvious to those in the know but I bought a plant (Sedum Versadense) that came with the number FO195 after the name. After a bit of research it seems like this should have read FO196 which is the field number for a plant collected in Mexico by Felipe Otero. Does this mean the plant is a vegetative propagation of his original plant? It's not something I've come across while buying plants before. I've found the link below but hardly any details are given of when it was collected although it seems his collection dates stop in the late 1980s.

http://www.cl-cactus.com/fnfinder.asp?L ... versadense

https://plants.jstor.org/stable/10.5555 ... m000046460
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Newbie question

Post by habanerocat »

It could be from seed or an offset I suppose. Or both. No way of knowing.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

wildedges wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:31 pm Does this mean the plant is a vegetative propagation of his original plant?
habanerocat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:42 pm It could be from seed or an offset I suppose. Or both. No way of knowing
Rebutias with collection numbers will almost always be subsequent generations from seed. My plant of Rebutia albiareolata FR761 would be better described as Rebutia albiareolata ex FR761 (I know that it was grown from seed).
Most Sedums, such as versadense, will be propagated from cuttings or leaves, and will be the same clone as originally collected. Though in theory your plant could be seed-propagated, the chances are much in favour of vegetative propagation - but as habernocat has said, no way of knowing for certain.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Thanks for explaining that. I don't plan on selling plants on so it doesn't really matter to me but I was just curious about the heritage of it. It's an interesting thing to research either way.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Some collectors use different notation for vegetative propagations.

For example, for Ralf Hillmann's plants, a number by itself, e.g. RH1234, is probably seed raised,but a number followed by /n indicates a vegetative propagation of the nth particular clone of the original collection, e.g. RH1234/3.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 pm For example, for Ralf Hillmann's plants, a number by itself, e.g. RH1234, is probably seed raised,but a number followed by /n indicates a vegetative propagation of the nth particular clone of the original collection, e.g. RH1234/3.
Sounds useful. Does 'nth particular clone' mean generations from seed? If vegetative from the original plant, then it's the same clone regardless of how many times cuttings are taken (unless there's been a 'sport').

Sheffield Botanical Gardens uses the system:
H = Cutting of an originally habitat collected plant
Z = Grown from seed pollinated in habitat
Y = Grown from seed collected from habitat plants in cultivation

I've tried googling this but can't find any reference to it as a standard system. It does seem strange if there isn't a standard botanical system for indicating provenance. Or have I failed to put the right words into my search?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Very interesting, Phil, thanks.

So it's a Graham Charles system. I must pass that on to the plant database administrator at the Botanical Gardens.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

MikeT wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 pm
ralphrmartin wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:15 pm For example, for Ralf Hillmann's plants, a number by itself, e.g. RH1234, is probably seed raised,but a number followed by /n indicates a vegetative propagation of the nth particular clone of the original collection, e.g. RH1234/3.
Sounds useful. Does 'nth particular clone' mean generations from seed? If vegetative from the original plant, then it's the same clone regardless of how many times cuttings are taken (unless there's been a 'sport').

No, it means that the field collector took more than one clone of that species from that particular locality. RH1234/3 would be third clone collected of that species from the same locality.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Thanks, Nick
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525