Caution: Leaf-cutter Bees

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Caution: Leaf-cutter Bees

Post by cactuspip »

This is the time of year when you find bees in your greenhouse that don't seem interested in the flowers.

These are leaf-cutter bees. They excavate a tunnel into the soil in a plant pot, line it with cut pieces of leaf and lay their grub inside. when the grub is ready they eat the roots of the plant in question. Not only do they go down from the top they can also get in through the drainage holes. If the plant has a taproot they will bore straight through it if necessary to locate the grub in the right place.

I just depotted an Uebellmannia in a 3" round pot and removed about 12 of these leaf tubes. The plant appears OK and has been repotted. It will need to be relocated as they can be very persistent and return the the same location.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Caution: Leaf-cutter Bees

Post by iann »

Is it that time already? Summer hasn't got going at all here, maybe the leaf-cutters won't be around for a few more weeks. They won't be able to get in the greenhouse anyway, if it is shut up to keep all the rain out :mrgreen:
Cheshire, UK
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

Yes, they've been busy in my greenhouse too, as they are every summer.

However, the larvae DON'T eat the roots - the female parent supplies the leaf-lined cavity with pollen, which the larva feeds on, before pupating. So, they don't really do any damage to our plants, just a bit of a nuisance to be tolerated.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
cactuspip
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by cactuspip »

I bow to your greater knowledge Diane, HOWEVER when you have 12 or more in a 3" diameter pot they destroy roots by their tunnelling.
I have lost at least 1 plant from this sort of damage.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I agree they are a nuisance with their tunneling. I had one busying itself in one of my gymnos a few years ago. But they are fascinating to watch as they have an unerring locatory sense, both in arriving at the same plant each time and in exiting through the same open window.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

rodsmith wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm I agree they are a nuisance with their tunneling. I had one busying itself in one of my gymnos a few years ago. But they are fascinating to watch as they have an unerring locatory sense, both in arriving at the same plant each time and in exiting through the same open window.
Unlike bumblebees!
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

iann wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 pm
rodsmith wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm I agree they are a nuisance with their tunneling. I had one busying itself in one of my gymnos a few years ago. But they are fascinating to watch as they have an unerring locatory sense, both in arriving at the same plant each time and in exiting through the same open window.
Unlike bumblebees!
Yes, quite. Bumble is a very good description of their progress when they get into a greenhouse or conservatory.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
wildedges
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by wildedges »

If these bees are a consistant problem then you could always tie a bundle of short lengths of bamboo canes together to make a basic nest box for them. They're very popular in my garden with quite a few species of solitary bees and wasps.
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.