is this cannibalism

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: is this cannibalism

Post by MalcolmP2 »

el48tel wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:05 pm
I retract my humorous comment - in disgust!

it'll be bracing if nothing else!

Sorry about shooting that fox !!! :ban:
I was going to try a humorous comment about "have they run out of good British beet ",,, until I discovered (Wiki again) that beet is a Mediterranean import :duh:
it is chilly enough down here in the usually mild SW :(

So where to now ,,, back to Tina,,
Tina wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm Oops I do,
Tequila
Looks like that is ok for veg. & vegan use, as the "worm" is not allowed in it. Only in other Mezcals.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Oops I do,Tequila
There is a new cocktail at our local restaurant that has tequila as its main ingredient but son was not impressed when I went home n said I had ' sex on the beach twice' :rolf: X(.
It was too cold last night and I put the heating on, very not impressed with the weather I might have to put the heating back on in the greenhouses, luckily its never turned off in the 'hot house'.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Tina if I remember right your good friend Colin once was after some Agave nectre syrup
Not 100% sure but I think it was for his daughter you could ask him about it
Or look here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_nectar
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Excellent cool weather for winter growers to get a head start. Vanheerdea, Dactylopsis, Tylecodon and Conophytums germinating well. Othonnas in flower. Baby Othonnas putting out large cabbage like leaves. Cuttings of winter growers all putting down roots. Conophytums breaking cover. Winter growing tuberous Drosera germinating. Nice.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:29 pm
el48tel wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:05 pm
I retract my humorous comment - in disgust!

it'll be bracing if nothing else!

Sorry about shooting that fox !!! :ban:
I was going to try a humorous comment about "have they run out of good British beet ",,, until I discovered (Wiki again) that beet is a Mediterranean import :duh:

So where to now ,,, back to Tina,,
Tina wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:57 pm Oops I do,
Tequila
Looks like that is ok for veg. & vegan use, as the "worm" is not allowed in it. Only in other Mezcals.
Not quite sure what you mean with your comment on good British beet then discovering its a Mediterranean import. Do you mean you haven't seen the sugar beet being harvested in the UK? If you haven't then go and see the vehicles waiting to enter the factory in Newark. Its quite amazing to see them queue up. It is if you are going in the other direction anyway, not if you take a wrong turn and end up stuck behind them. :lol:

I have never tried that agave syrup. What is its intended use? What does it taste like?
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

@Chez2
"Not quite sure what you mean with your comment on good British beet then discovering its a Mediterranean import. Do you mean you haven't seen the sugar beet being harvested in the UK? If you haven't then go and see the vehicles waiting to enter the factory in Newark. Its quite amazing to see them queue up. It is if you are going in the other direction anyway, not if you take a wrong turn and end up stuck behind them. :lol: "

You are quite right --- I did wonder about the plant not working anymore from previous comments.
The father of a girl I used to work with 20 years ago, was a senior engineer at the plant. She used to regale us with stories about the plant when it was in full production.

As for the beet, it is a plant adapted to grow on the high salt concentrations in the land reclaimed from the salt marsh.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Chez2 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 am Not quite sure what you mean with your comment on good British beet then discovering its a Mediterranean import. Do you mean you haven't seen the sugar beet being harvested
Ah yes, sorry I was not very clear.
Yes I know that it is grown here, but it is a plant of Mediterranean origin (if I am understanding Wiki) My comment had to be read in the context of Tel and I chiding each other on UK/Britishness :) See earlier remarks about the Agaves maybe being grown here by SS and not in Mexico.

As an aside, it may amuse you all to know that from time to time I make my own beer and wine and once thought it might be a good idea to grow my own suger beet ! First obstacle ( long time ago ) was getting the seed. Only available to commercial growers back then, so I had twist the arm of a friendly farmer over there in the east :)
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am As for the beet, it is a plant adapted to grow on the high salt concentrations in the land reclaimed from the salt marsh.
True.
Which is probably why it didnt do very well on my clay on limestone hillside :(
Gave up on that idea !!
Galliher

Post by Galliher »

Very interesting. Honestly, the clay on limestone hillside sounds like a great environment for it in theory. At least I would have thought so. Guess not.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:48 am
el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am As for the beet, it is a plant adapted to grow on the high salt concentrations in the land reclaimed from the salt marsh.
True.
Which is probably why it didnt do very well on my clay on limestone hillside :(
Gave up on that idea !!
You could try adding mega quantities of rock salt as per winter drive clearing stuff. It would add marl which they also need.

As for extraction of the sugars .... I seem to remember that the process required some chemical addition .... and a large amount of energy to remove the large amount of water in which you extract the sucrose.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.