is this cannibalism

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: is this cannibalism

Post by Chez2 »

I have seen the farms around our village harvesting sugar beet. I live on the southern border of South Yorkshire. I've seen them dropped by the roadside when they have been overloaded and not covered.

I have never been tempted to try agave syrup or aloe drinks either. Care to share what they are like?
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I've tried most of the agave-based products. Some more than others :)

Agave syrup (=agave nectar) is very, very sweet and almost tasteless. It isn't nectar from the flowers but a product made from the sap that is treated to stop it fermenting and also to concentrate it.

Aguamiel is the name of the juice that forms inside the shell of an agave that has had the incipient flower spike cut out, leaving a well for the sap to accumulate. It is also very sweet but with a slightly unpleasant eggy undertone. It is a rustic drink.

Pulche is the next stage on - if you leave this sap inside the agave and allow it to ferment it becomes an alcoholic drink. It has been a part of indigenous Mexican culture for hundreds, maybe thousands, of years. A friend of mine summed up the taste as being something like a cross between cider and sewerage. Also a rustic drink.

Tequila and mescal. Quite familiar. Both made from sap collected from the steamed (tequila) or roasted (mescal) piña that is distilled into a liquor. The difference is comparable to champagne vs sparkling wine - made from Agave tequilana in the Tequila region it is tequila, made from any other agave elsewhere is mescal. It is a brand name, no measure of quality. Mescal and tequila that have been aged in wooden barrels are IMO every bit as subtle and full of nuances of flavour as the finest cognacs. It doesn't have a worm in it generally.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Thanks Paul. Not sure I'm tempted.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:09 pm I seem to remember that the process required some chemical addition .... and a large amount of energy to remove the large amount of water in which you extract the sucrose.
Yes, all true, IF you wanted to get nice dry white crystals of sugar to put in a fancy paper bag on a shelf !
But for wine you would use the sugar in water solution and ferment it. As per a parsnip or carrot etc wine.
However, I only said "and once thought it might be a good idea", it proved not to be a good idea ! Maybe ok for those who can grow good beet, , , , and like home made root wines. I much prefer blackberry and elderberry :)

Sorry Tina, I've disturbed your topic too much already, so I'll shut up now :grin:
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:06 pm
el48tel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:09 pm I seem to remember that the process required some chemical addition .... and a large amount of energy to remove the large amount of water in which you extract the sucrose.
Yes, all true, IF you wanted to get nice dry white crystals of sugar to put in a fancy paper bag on a shelf !
But for wine you would use the sugar in water solution and ferment it. As per a parsnip or carrot etc wine.
However, I only said "and once thought it might be a good idea", it proved not to be a good idea ! Maybe ok for those who can grow good beet, , , , and like home made root wines. I much prefer blackberry and elderberry :)

Sorry Tina, I've disturbed your topic too much already, so I'll shut up now :grin:
I agree - I'll shut up too, Tina
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

All discussion is good (tu), chat away.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Tina wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:58 pm All discussion is good (tu), chat away.
:smile:
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.