Lithops lesliei F123C

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David1971
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lithops lesliei F123C

Post by David1971 »

Hi! I am trying to organize my Lithops collection and I can't find information about a lesliei I bought some years ago in Atomic Plants. The plant came labelled as "Lithops lesliei ex Cole coll. F123C". May anyone please provide further info?
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lithops lesliei F123C

Post by Chris in Leeds »

All Cole numbers start with a C so don't think this is one of his numbers as C123 is Lithops villetii ssp. kennedyi
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

F is Ernst Fritz.
kvb
Registered Guest

Post by kvb »

F numbers like this are Frik du Plooy numbers. I am still not sure if these are field numbers/collection numbers or seedlist numbers. I asked him but never have seen an answer.

Chris
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

kvb wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:13 am F numbers like this are Frik du Plooy numbers. I am still not sure if these are field numbers/collection numbers or seedlist numbers. I asked him but never have seen an answer.

Chris
Yes, Frik du Plooy numbers.
They're not field numbers, just catalog numbers. Similar to 'MG' numbers from Mesa Garden. As far as I can tell, they stay the same from year to year.

I checked one of his seed lists (2018) and F123C is listed as lesliei v venteri ex Cole, locality unknown.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

We seem to have been through this before viewtopic.php?t=161151 and there are three contenders: Fritz, du Plooy and Formosa. I would say that if the number matches the species in your collection, then that is likely to be the original seed source.
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

Thank you very much for commenting on this. I have contacted Frik du Plooy and he says me that F123C is from plants he received from DT Cole in 1990, who was not sure of the locality. Frik found similar plants in the Douglas area, but cannot be sure that F123C was originally collected there.
If you are curious, these are the plants
20190608_DSC_6509__01.JPG
20190608_DSC_6509__01.JPG (260.49 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

That's var venteri, so I think you've tracked it down.
Cheshire, UK