A recent purchase has got me thinking

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
WayneM
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

A recent purchase has got me thinking

Post by WayneM »

I had some bad luck with a plant rotting off in a pot outside, and recently bought another Agavoides to add to my collection. When it arrived I found upon repotting that the plant itself was sitting in a almost soil free mix.

The German seller advised that the mix was a combination of " lava bims and zeolith" , which as you can guess is Lava rock and Zeolite.

So my question is for growing medium for Echeveria, is a soilless mix a good thing or not.
I still want to give my plants a summer holiday outside in our changeable conditions , but I may have to rethink my type of free draining potting mix.

I'd appreciate your comments

Wayne
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A recent purchase has got me thinking

Post by Chez2 »

Hi Wayne. Sorry not a technical reply form me and I know others are going to shoot me down in flames. My echiveria have been outside since early May. I use about 50% compost with about 30% perlite with the rest made up of grit and sand, possibly vermiculite depending on what I have. I'm no good at uploading pictures on here but my plants are fine.

I have used more very fine grit for other plant which need to be wet but drain any free water in seconds.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I grow most of my collection in zeolite mixed with sand/grit. That includes quite a lot other succulents as well, I guess few echeverias are included too. I have experimented few months until I decided what will be my 'perfect soil mix'. And I still use two :) one for small pots and one for big(ger) ones. My mix dries out in 3-7 days, that is usually enough time for plants to fill their internal reservoirs and not enough time for rot to develop. But I water more often (maybe I don't have to, but still...), and I use a lot of fertilizer.

Wayne, I'd suggest you take few plants that you could lose and experiment. That seems to be the only way.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Thankyou for your comments.

I will experiment with some of my pupping Agavoides as suggested, my previous mix was part John Innes, part Perlite and part tesco cat litter everyone was so positive about. Perhaps my mix required less soil as my agavoides are outside, as I'm one of those few that like the colouring, blotches and markings that weathering gives them.

With that in mind I've ordered some pumice medium 3-8mm and I'm open to hearing your thoughts on what else to mix with this to create a ideal pot mix?

Thanks again
Wayne
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Unfortunately pumice is not available in Croatia (zeolite was my second choice) so I can't help you further. But I'm sure there are forum members that can help you with that. Good luck :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

My 14l Cacti mix from Kaizen Bonsai arrived and all my Agavoides have been repotted in this mix which provide aeration for the roots. I read some good reviews online which I'm hoping are correct.

Being a novice I'm still unsure if Perlite / grit/ soil should have been added to this mix

The recent heavy rain and the loss of treasured plant to rot has driven me to this point.
I'd really appreciate your experience and views.

Wayne
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Mine have never rotted off Wayne and I have been using this mix for well over a decade. I do sometimes forget and give the succulents a water with the hose when I do the other pots. I have agave, echiveria and aloe outside in pots.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

I grow quite a few Echeveria, including agavoides, outside in my west of Scotland garden during Summer. I have never had any rot, even with all the rain we get. I grow my plants in more or less standard cactus mix, with extra grit. I don't think it is necessary to go to lots of expense in purchasing growing medium for the majority of Echeveria species.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Well I have gone down the soiless mix root and want to believe that this would do the trick.
It didn't help that a most a months worth of rain fell in two days, but it's all experience and a education.

Do hate losing plants though :evil:

Wayne