Hydration

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hydration

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Hello,
I am starting to have a real problem with trying to hydrate my lophophora cacti, every two weeks I try to get them to plump up and become firm like they used to be but it doesn't work. Any advice?
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Hydration

Post by MikeT »

Why do you think that not being firm means that they're not fully hydrated? One of the characteristics of Lophophoras is the rather 'doughy' feel they have, in contrast to most other cacti. If they have live roots, I would assume that they're actually fine. A dehydrated Lophophora would be even softer, but if it has roots would respond to watering, and if it didn't have roots wouldn't respond to water but nor would it be showing any signs of growth. If yours are growing, then they are fine.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Echinocactus123
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH DEVON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Echinocactus123 »

Thanks, its flowering so is fine
Henry,

A 15 year old with a love for Slow growing cacti, highland nepenthes and bulbophyllum orchids.
brianc
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by brianc »

Be very careful too much water take up will make your plants split,