Will the real.....?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Will the real.....?

Post by ragamala »

Two seedlings from same packet, labelled Lobivia pugionacantha v salitrensis WR636, showing very different flower colours this morning, on their first (simultaneous) blooming. Draw your own conclusions, but life's not perfect and I like them both.
Lps.jpg
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Will the real.....?

Post by MalcolmP2 »

ragamala wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:45 pm but life's not perfect and I like them both.
Very nice! How long since you sowed them ?

But Life according to Darwin should not be like that, evolution by natural selection says that you should not like them both !! lol :)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:03 pm
ragamala wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:45 pm but life's not perfect and I like them both.

But Life according to Darwin should not be like that, evolution by natural selection says that you should not like them both !! lol :)
But who says that Darwin was right?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

el48tel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 pm But who says that Darwin was right?
Wallace ?

or Attenborough !! :)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm
el48tel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:01 pm But who says that Darwin was right?
Wallace ?

or Attenborough !! :)
'Twas merely a theory of evolution ... not a law
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:03 pm
Well I think they were sown in 2016 as that's the only record I have of sowing L. pugionacantha. But my record doesn't (uncharacteristically) show the variety so I am not 100% sure, especially as it shows I had the seed from BCSS and I can't find it on the Society's 2015/6 list. Maybe it was free seed when I (re)joined,or perhaps a substitute not on the list, since it's unlikely I would have had Lobivia as my ordering priority. Anyway, whatever, they are nice plants. Another two seedlings from the same packet have not flowered. They are smaller and have darker, more grey than green, body colouring.

The flowers were visited by a bee this morning, so no need to get the paintbrush out.....
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

ragamala wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 am think they were sown in 2016

The flowers were visited by a bee this morning, so no need to get the paintbrush out.....
(tu) and the cat's whisker is safe !
Thanks, one more variety to add to my list of reasonably quick-to-flower cactus seeds for the impatient/aged :)
that gives me an idea for a new topic,,,,