Cat litter. Old topic, new twist?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Hedge
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Cat litter. Old topic, new twist?

Post by Hedge »

When Dr Alcock mentioned cat litter many years ago, he suggested adding iron and calcium sulphate to help with the acidity. Does any one still do this? In Sweden, I am able to get a moler cat litter, but I haven’t seen straight fertilisers. Also, can one use other clay cat litters?

Thanks

Heather
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Cat litter. Old topic, new twist?

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Heather, I have been using Tesco,s cat litter for many years and am very happy with the results. I add white vinegar to my tap water ( check with litmus paper ) to reduce the ph to about 6. I then feed with Ericatious Miracle grow which contains the nutrients and micro nutrients or plants need. Re cat litter, I,ve read that the clumping and scented varieties are a no no. Hope this helps. Cheers
Hedge
BCSS Member

Post by Hedge »

Thanks Eric, that’s an idea!
Heather aka Hedge
.......you can grow a hedge that is vertically straight over ten feet tall (Alan Parsons Project)

Find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Hedge.59

BCSS47069
TheChinski
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by TheChinski »

Eric Williams wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:47 pm Hi Heather, I have been using Tesco,s cat litter for many years and am very happy with the results. I add white vinegar to my tap water ( check with litmus paper ) to reduce the ph to about 6. I then feed with Ericatious Miracle grow which contains the nutrients and micro nutrients or plants need. Re cat litter, I,ve read that the clumping and scented varieties are a no no. Hope this helps. Cheers
Hi Eric! I’m interested in your acidifying of your water source. I also grow in mineral and so fertilise frequently. I did some experimenting and found that when I acidified my water as well as fertilise in the same bucket, if I checked the pH after 12 hours or so the pH had reverted back to neutral ish, as though the fertiliser was somehow acting as a buffer, especially as it only seems to happen with fertiliser and not plain water. Have you got any experience or ideas why this happens? Also do you mind if I ask how often you fertilise?

Kind regards,
Aaron
Aaron Rucinski
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

TC, Hi, I have been using this method for many, many years now, and it works for me. Others will have their own method which I am sure works for them. My local water supply is about a ph of 7. Trial and error with litmus paper will give you the ph you require (I like it about 6). I test it after the white vinegar and feed has been add to the water,and use it on the plants straight away. Being that there is not a lot of food in my mineral mix, I use quarter strength Miracid every time I water, which is frequently in this warm weather. Half a teaspoon of white vinegar plus the Miracid in a gallon of water does the trickfor me. You can try it out on a few plants first to see what results you get. Cheers. ps occasionally I use water only to leach out any build up of salts etc if any.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

image.jpeg
. Here is a corner of my g/house which shows the diversity of plants growing using this regime. Cheers.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Please note that litmus changes its colour between pH4.5 and 8.3, so it is of very little help in trying to determine an accurate pH within that range. It is possible to get narrow range pH indicator papers which might be more useful.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Yes ,I agree with Terry on this one. PH is calculated on a logarithmic scale, where e.g. a ph of 5 is 10 times more acid than 6, I'm, told rain water solves many of these problems. I stand to be corrected on these figures, I left school so long ago lol. Cheers
peter831shaw
Registered Guest

Post by peter831shaw »

TheChinski wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:57 am
Eric Williams wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:47 pm Hi Heather, I have been using Tesco,s cat litter for many years and am very happy with the results. I add white vinegar to my tap water ( check with litmus paper ) to reduce the ph to about 6. I then feed with Ericatious Miracle grow which contains the nutrients and micro nutrients or plants need. Re cat litter, I,ve read that the clumping and scented varieties are a no no. Hope this helps. Cheers
Hi Eric! I’m interested in your acidifying of your water source. I also grow in mineral and so fertilise frequently. I did some experimenting and found that when I acidified my water as well as fertilise in the same bucket, if I checked the pH after 12 hours or so the pH had reverted back to neutral ish, as though the fertiliser was somehow acting as a buffer, especially as it only seems to happen with fertiliser and not plain water. Have you got any experience or ideas why this happens? Also do you mind if I ask how often you fertilise?

Kind regards,
Aaron
Our water on the coast of CA has very high levels of bicarbonate 280mg/L or higher, and a pH of 7.8-8.
People in the berry industry have found it takes a long time to neutralize all the bicarbonate. One nursery has a very high tech fertigation system that mixed up all the fertilizers and acids to the proper pH (using expensive pH probes and a mixing tank) and sent the water several hundred yards to the plants, and the pH changed from 5.8 to over 7 by the time it reached the field.

I am now in the process of mixing my own water with acids to achieve the desired pH but I will have to test it over the season as all our water comes from an aquifer and changes with the water levels.

and yes, you need to know what is in your fertilizer. Look for the CCE on the label, (Calcium Carbonate Equivalent) to tell you how basic it is. mix it in throughly as well prior to measuring,
Peter Shaw
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Very interesting Peter, and thanks for the info. Cheers