Huntington and imports

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Huntington and imports

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Huntington Botanical Gardens appears to be selling Schick hybrids again.
I mailed last night, only to be told they cannot ship to UK.
Is there anyone on here who is able to legally import and who is willing to add some plants for me to their order?
agavemad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Huntington and imports

Post by agavemad »

I spoke with them a couple of years ago and they gave me details of a company in Europe.....BUT the pries were horrendous!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

It wasn't just export to the UK which seemed horrendously complex and expensive. Even just down the road to other California counties required treatment, documents and cash.
There's a few nurseries in the UK who occasionally advertise Schick .... and enthusiasts who grow and have for sale or swap. I got my few by these methods .... and hoping to get more slowly .... might be worth posting on the Trading page.
And there are a few EU nurseries which have had them ... try before 31Oct.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

A contact recently sent me some photos of newer Echinopis hybrids that are being bred in Europe (e.g. Germany) and Thailand. These knock the Schick hybrids into a cocked hat. Forget trying to get Schicks out of California but see if you can track down any of these newer hybrids. Even some of Southfield's Razzle Dazzle strain have lovely red and gold picotee flowers although they are not as large as some. Schicks are an extension of Johnson's Paramount Hybrids whereas the more recent breeding work seems to go along different lines.

Have a look at this web page for example: http://www.ag-eh.com/. You can still get plants easily from Europe until Boris has his way.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Thanks TerryS
I shall heed that advice too.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I guess you never collected PG Tips cards, Terry. It’s not the beauty of the last one but completing the set that’s the draw.
I agree fully that there are some super new hybrids and recently bought several Razzle Dazzles from Southfield.
The thing with the Schicks is that there are five to ten hybrids that are very difficult to locate in Europe. Huntington are listing five of the eight I am missing....
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

If you are on Facebook try joining the Echinopsis hybrid swap circle group and enquire if any one has the ones your after some people do offer pups when they have them
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I've had plants from the ISI list most years but this is the first time in years that there's nothing much of interest on the list. I'd agree with Terry, the Schick plants are OK, the last one I had from the Huntington was 'For Norma' or something like that, pretty orange flower but look closer to home, Bryan's hybrids at Southfields compare well with the Schicks.

Stuart
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Hi Stuart
What was your route for obtaining plants from the ISI list? I think I must be missing something obvious here. Huntington tell me they cannot send to UK.
Thx
Jon

Mail from them here
Hi John,
Thank you for contacting the ISI office.
We are unable to ship plant material to the UK, so, unfortunately, we won’t be able to assist you in your quest for Schick hybrids. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Best regards,
Louise
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:00 am Hi Stuart
What was your route for obtaining plants from the ISI list? I think I must be missing something obvious here. Huntington tell me they cannot send to UK.
Thx
Jon
Like collecting in person when in the USA perhaps?
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)