What nibbled my cactus :(

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: What nibbled my cactus :(

Post by Paul in Essex »

The adore Agave mitis. I reckon it would be a sure fire way to keep the blighters off your hostas - plant some Agave mitis nearby.

*Said for comedic effect, not suggesting Agave mitis enjoys woodland conditions.
** Well, it does in Mexico, sometimes.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Interesting, I'll tell the boss about that, she is into hostas !
When I was young and fit we had a very large veg patch so we know all about slugs , , , :( at least we thought we did !! We previously only ever kept cactii on windowsills etc., didnt occur to me that they were at risk out in the garden in the summer, I feel so stupid now.
Could have been worse,,,, only that one was badly nibbled and a M. elongata with a very small bit damaged.
Live and learn, never too old !
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

MalcolmP2 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:54 pm Interesting, I'll tell the boss about that, she is into hostas !
When I was young and fit we had a very large veg patch so we know all about slugs , , , :( at least we thought we did !! We previously only ever kept cactii on windowsills etc., didnt occur to me that they were at risk out in the garden in the summer, I feel so stupid now.
Could have been worse,,,, only that one was badly nibbled and a M. elongata with a very small bit damaged.
Live and learn, never too old !
I have had some success with used coffee grounds.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

I can second that snails/slugs don't mind spines.

P1260124.JPG
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

Another excellent portrait, shame about the ugly sitter :lol:

I have read that egg shells are good as well. Also copper wire or tape. I have lots of sticky-backed tape so I may try that next time. Perhaps raise some lettuce seedlings first as sacrificials.
rreynolds
Registered Guest

Post by rreynolds »

I've had almost an entire mammillaria consumed by a rat or mouse once. It was kind of a shock how much cactus pulp they could consume in one sitting.
Richard Reynolds
Mostly cacti of the Chihuahuan Desert, Mexico, and the American Southwest (and a handful of South American species)
rareynolds1000@gmail.com
www.richardreynolds.photoshelter.com
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Surprising how much a snail/slug can eat in a short time. I'm sure all the leaves were there yesterday - evidence of slime trail and I did find some snails behind an adjacent pot
web-3928.jpg
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I have to remember to make a mollusc patrol tonight. There have been some trails in the greenhouse, although no damage. I evicted one offender but either it came back or there is another. Also something has been doing a number on the big Disphyma outside - no snail could eat enough to do it serious harm but all the chewed leaves are unattractive.
Cheshire, UK
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

iann wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:39 pm There have been some trails in the greenhouse, although no damage. I evicted one offender but either it came back or there is another.
Snail's have been shown to have good homing instinct, Ian. So either take it out for a run in the car before releasing, or use the technique I've developed to disable the homing mechanism. Squash flat.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Are we not trying to prevent the demise of our native hedgehog? Good food for them.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.