Sempervivum

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sempervivum

Post by Chez2 »

They look like common semps. We buy them for £1.25 for a decent sized pot from our local nursery. The birds dig our red ones up but last year I gave a bucket full away, they grow so quickly.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Sempervivam

Post by Phil_SK »

Eric Williams wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:06 pmRe Rule 6, perhaps a mod may be kind enough to to remove the offending pic ? Thanks
As the image is germane to the point of the thread and as it is already widely misused online I'll leave it alone.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Phil, I understand. Cheers
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Having used Google to look for the sempervivum picture from the original post, today Facebook has decided to show me a sponsored post using the same picture offering 10 plants for £9.99
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Jim, you never know who's reading threads on our forum lol. Cheers
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Eric Williams wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:38 pm Hi Jim, you never know who's reading threads on our forum lol. Cheers
It helps to use the two browser add ons Ghostery and Privacy Badger (and ultimately of course an add blocker too)...
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Fern wood nurseries. was recommended to by this forum. Very very pleased with the plants recieved from them. Each one individually packed and labelled with printed note and cultural instruction. Thought I would send a pic ( with Fernwood permission ) to show the quality. Cheers
image.jpeg
. Apologies for incorrect orientation lol.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Fernwood exhibited at major RHS shows for a number of years and nearly always got Gold Medals for their sempervivum exhibits. Their plants are grown in Devon in the open air on benches in full sunlight and are as good a quality as you might hope to find.

The proprietors of the nursery produced a booklet on the genus which is interesting and useful if it is still in print.

Don't loose your labels though, it is almost impossible to name a sempervivum cultivar just by looking at it! They also change their appearance through the seasons.