Composts and root pests

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
The Tunn
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Composts and root pests

Post by The Tunn »

True about brand names. One garden centre near us made a point of putting a notice on the shelf with bugclear pointing out that it was no longer systemic. Very honest of them but maybe not of the manufacturers.

When you look at what is available "over the counter" in other countries you do have to wonder if there is any scientific consensus on the effects.

Interesting the focus on insecticides as well (I guess because of declining bee populations) I wonder what effect all the fertilizers, mollusc killers, moss treatments, fungicides and weed killers that are being turned out instead of insecticides by the garden chemical manufacturers will have long and medium term.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 am Ragamala: I do actually have a science Ph.D. which is probably why I have a natural scepticism.
I have a natural scepticism because I do not have a science degree, so at least we have something in common!

Terry S. wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 am I wonder how many original papers on imidicloprid you have read,
I don't play the I know more than you card. My experience as an environmental researcher means I look at weight and body of evidence. I look at sources, and their funding of individual reports.

My strength is not in investigation of neonicotinoids. I do not look at press and media reports. But my research in more authoritative sources convinces me that there is a good case for concern about their use, and there was a good case to establish what you describe as merely a "supposed" relationship with the decline of bee populations.

In deference to The Tunn I will not engage in extended debate on climate change beyond saying if you are denying any anthropogenic effect on climate change you need to seriously look at your attitude and the evidence which seems to have a consensus from scientists whose credentials are substantial and up-to-date on this issue. Bluster is allowed in response. If you are not denying that, fine. We have no disagreement.

Best
Alan
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

But scientists, who ought to know,
Assure us that they must be so.
Oh! let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about!

Hilaire Belloc
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 pm But scientists, who ought to know,
Assure us that they must be so.
Oh! let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about!

Hilaire Belloc
Me I'd rather stick with the precautionary principle. Don't step on a banana skin, if it's never been proved you'll end up on your backside. Issues such as bee decline and climate change are far too serious and urgent for us to hold relaxed and ambivalent views.

Scientists ought to know? Few I have had communication with over the years have not exhibited some bias. I trust biased scientists as much as I would trust a politician whose views disagreed with mine. Same thing, basically ;-)