Removing ants from plant pots by soaking

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chez2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Removing ants from plant pots by soaking

Post by Chez2 »

You don't need to break open the ant bait stations. We found ants in pots in our polytunnel. We put power on the ones we saw when I disturbed a pot then put in a bait station nearby to get the rest. I washed the ants and soil off the roots of a large canna and it was all dealt with very quickly.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Chez2 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 am You don't need to break open the ant bait stations. We found ants in pots in our polytunnel. We put power on the ones we saw when I disturbed a pot then put in a bait station nearby to get the rest. I washed the ants and soil off the roots of a large canna and it was all dealt with very quickly.
I apologise ... for not making myself clearer ... you do need to crack open the plastic to empty the higher concentration insecticide out so you can add it to the compost mix. The insecticide in the puffer bottle is incorporated into a filler mix to dilute it.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

oh, okay. We found if you leave the bait station as it is it protects more plants. We only had two bait stations in a polytunnel 18 x 30 foot.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Chris L wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:28 am
el48tel wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:28 pm Update
Since my earlier post, my daughter has tried diatomaceous earth around some mealy bug infested plants ... they definitely don't like it and die!
Is that just scattered around the neck of the plant?
Chris .... I have sent you a PM
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.