Variation in size and marking

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Variation in size and marking

Post by rodsmith »

These Lithops pseudotruncatella ssp volkii seedlings were sown in March 2018 and have reached a decent size, the largest being 2 cm across. There are small variations in markings and large variations in size. They are in a shallow 7 inch pot. What are the chances of getting a bloom or two this year from the largest ones?

I'll be offering some of them to forum members when I de-pot them, probably next year.
Lithops pseudotruncatella ssp volkii seedlings 11 July 2019.JPG
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
D^L
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY

Re: Variation in size and marking

Post by D^L »

Low chance of flowers yet, but stranger things have happened!
They still have immature "fissures". They are the narrow ones that seedlings have and will, with coming splits, grow right across the plant. Doesn't mean they absolutely won't flower, but does suggest they are still quite immature.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

D^L wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:35 pm Low chance of flowers yet, but stranger things have happened!
They still have immature "fissures". They are the narrow ones that seedlings have and will, with coming splits, grow right across the plant. Doesn't mean they absolutely won't flower, but does suggest they are still quite immature.
Cheers
David Lambie
Bristol
Thanks David. I thought I was being optimistic.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

No hope. This is one of the slowest species to reach flowering size. Apart from anything else, most L. pseudotruncatella have either flowered already or are at least showing buds by now. This one was sown in early 2008 and flowered in summer 2011, about the best you should expect. Some other species will flower more reliably at around 3 years old.
groendrayensis-290711.jpg
Cheshire, UK