Seed storage questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Post Reply
User avatar
el48tel
BCSS Member
Posts: 889
Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Branch: LEEDS
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Seed storage questions

Post by el48tel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:16 pm

I am anticipating that I may be collecting some seeds in the near future (probably hybrid rather than species).
What is the best medium for storage, paper envelope or polythene bag?
Where's the best storage location, fridge, freezer, or warm cupboard?
When's the best time for sowing, after harvesting or next spring?
Attempting to grow Echinopsis, Lithops, Aeoniums, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Aylostera.
Just discovered Echinocereus.
User avatar
Phil_SK
Moderator
Posts: 4420
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator
Location: Stockport, UK

Re: Seed storage questions

Post by Phil_SK » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Mine go in either reused seed envelopes or folded-up bits of paper, then in a little clip-and-lock plastic box and I keep them in the back of the fridge. If only for my own convenience, I sow in spring. I let the box come up to room temperature before opening it so that loads of moisture doesn't condense on the contents.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
User avatar
el48tel
BCSS Member
Posts: 889
Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Branch: LEEDS
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed storage questions

Post by el48tel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Phil_SK wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 pm
Mine go in either reused seed envelopes or folded-up bits of paper, then in a little clip-and-lock plastic box and I keep them in the back of the fridge. If only for my own convenience, I sow in spring. I let the box come up to room temperature before opening it so that loads of moisture doesn't condense on the contents.
Thanks
Is it worth putting silica gel in the storage box?
Attempting to grow Echinopsis, Lithops, Aeoniums, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Aylostera.
Just discovered Echinocereus.
User avatar
Phil_SK
Moderator
Posts: 4420
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator
Location: Stockport, UK

Re: Seed storage questions

Post by Phil_SK » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 am

Yes, though to be worthwhile you'd need to dry it (maybe annually if you keep your container well-sealed).
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Terry S.
BCSS Member
Posts: 722
Joined: 06 Jun 2012
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Country: England
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Re: Seed storage questions

Post by Terry S. » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 am

Put the seeds into paper envelopes. Apart from other factors such as flow of air and moisture, small seeds stick to polythene via static and are difficult to get out again!

The majority of seeds are probably best in the 'fridge but it is not essential for short periods. However store members of the mesembryanthemum family at room temperature because they continue their ripening process after harvest and then remain viable for many years.
User avatar
el48tel
BCSS Member
Posts: 889
Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Branch: LEEDS
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed storage questions

Post by el48tel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:44 am

Phil_SK wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 am
Yes, though to be worthwhile you'd need to dry it (maybe annually if you keep your container well-sealed).
TRUE! but hopefully all seeds sown and growing successfully - and in my case that's the bit which is the weakest link
Attempting to grow Echinopsis, Lithops, Aeoniums, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Aylostera.
Just discovered Echinocereus.
User avatar
el48tel
BCSS Member
Posts: 889
Joined: 04 Aug 2018
Branch: LEEDS
Country: UK
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed storage questions

Post by el48tel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:46 am

Terry S. wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 am
Put the seeds into paper envelopes. Apart from other factors such as flow of air and moisture, small seeds stick to polythene via static and are difficult to get out again!

The majority of seeds are probably best in the 'fridge but it is not essential for short periods. However store members of the mesembryanthemum family at room temperature because they continue their ripening process after harvest and then remain viable for many years.
Static - thanks - not thought of that.
Mesembs - I don't do - so not a problem
Attempting to grow Echinopsis, Lithops, Aeoniums, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia and Aylostera.
Just discovered Echinocereus.
Post Reply