【Fowardpost 】 Twin-scaling as method of propagating Bowiea volubilis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
kohinoor
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

【Fowardpost 】 Twin-scaling as method of propagating Bowiea volubilis

Post by kohinoor »

A friend of my successfully using Twin-scaling to massive propagate Bowiea volubilis.

here is the blogger version
https://kohinoorsarchive.blogspot.com/2 ... od-of.html

Thanks to Hyyb Succulent for their enthusiastic sponsorship
This article was written by Hyyb

Succulenthttps://www.facebook.com/%E8%A9%A0%E8%A9%A0%E5% ... 291589808/
中英文版皆有
Comes with both English and Chinese version
Bowiea volubilis is a succulent plant of the hyacinth family, originating in Africa, summergrower.

The propagating rate of B. volubilis is very low. It is not easy to divide the ball.
It takes forever to spurt new bulb. Stay as single onin for a long time. It is not easy to flowers, and it is not easy to self-pollinate(Kohinoor: it is self fertile but the fruiting rate is less then 3%)

Unlike Drimia intricata which fruiting like crazy and marginally count as weed.

What should I do then? Fortunately, B. volubilis has a very mysterious propagating method, that is scale cutting or scaling .Simple cut sown some scale ,new small bulb will naturally grow out of the wound base.

But this time it is not the general scaling. It is called "Twin scaling". It is commonly used in bulbous plants such as amaryllis.

If general scaling will do,then why bother using Twin-scaling?
Because the title will look more professional.
WOW so PRO

First of all, get a B.volubilis with new vine spurting.It is best in April and May, the temperature just getting warmer B.volubilis entering growing season.

Each plant has its own optimum temperature. In that temperature range, the plant's enzymes can react normally and carry out physiological activities. Overheating or too cold will not work.

B.volubilis : FUK

Then prepare a clean knife, graft knife, utility knife, fruit knife, etc.. Just any knife u feel handy.
It is best to sterilize if you can.

B.volubilis : SCREWD

Cut off the leaves and roots, don't be afraid to cut it off. She is a tough girl.

Remember to keep the basal plate that is,the short-modified stem.

Cut onion

(Cut onion)^2

(Cut onion)^3
Cut it into 8 equal size slice. how many slice can u cut actually depend on the size of mother bulb.Bigger mother bulb can cut in to more slice. Vise-versa.

Kohinoor: you may want to practice with cheap real onion before you lay knife on your precise Bowiea.

Now is the key part.

Why is it called Twin-scaling? Because each breeding unit is composed of 2 scales.In the general Twin-scaling the most important thing is to make sure each slice has part of basal plate.
Because it is where the bulb will grow from.
But Bowiea volubilis is amazing. It doesn't require basal plate to work.
I don't know how it can be done??
(Kohinoor: it;s the family trait of hyacinth family. they can grow advantage bulb from scale and leaf in some case even flower stalk see also : Lachenalia leaf cutting)

Curious as you may be wondering , why limit in Twin scales? How about Tri-scaling and Mono-scaling ?
The answer is yes!!

We all know that the bulb is mainly composed of starch and sugar.In case of Mono-scaling only one scale is used, it is possible that the nutrient is consumed before new bulb can grow.
On the other hand, if three or even four scale per slice are used, although it has more nutrient, but the propagating rate is much lower, and the maximum profit is not achieved.

Prepare clean media, like vermiculite and Perlite. Any thing with good Drain and porosity.

Wrong demonstration

In the general method of Twin-scaling is to bury the base in to the medium. but I found that is not working with Bowiea volubilis .

It will get mold and infected all the way up XDDDD

Just put the scale on surface.
After encounter mold problem,i scratch off the mold and put on surface.Just like the leaf cutting of Echeveria or Graptopetalum.
That is all! so casual so easy

After two months the bulbling will quietly come out from the base . At this moment, the base can be shallowly buried in the medium, and more water can be apply to promote the root growth.

Even with out basal plate,Bowiea volubilis can still grow new bulb normally.

grand gathering

The success rate of Twin-scaling a is very high. Almost every piece has a 1 bulb. From the original one mother bulb, 40~50 small bulb can be propagated.

If you pulled out bulb before scales went completely dry,It may spurt new bulb second time,boosting profit even more

The final step is just transplant the rooting bulb into the medium and it will be done.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: 【Fowardpost 】 Twin-scaling as method of propagating Bowiea volubilis

Post by Tina »

Hi kohinoor
Thats a really well documented method, good pictures and very informative,
Now the question, is this very rare or sought after, I have one I have been growing for years and don't even see the bulb as its deep in the pot, should I get the knife out :???: .
Thanks
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

As it is self fertile, it sets viable seeds very easily in moderately amounts. No need to cut up your plant for a lot of small plants, I would think. You might as well sow the seeds.

Still interesting though.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

Aiko wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:27 pm As it is self fertile, it sets viable seeds very easily in moderately amounts. No need to cut up your plant for a lot of small plants, I would think. You might as well sow the seeds.

They also produce pups which are easily detached. I didn't know they were self-fertile as my flowers are normally covered in hoverflies and I get a couple of thousand seeds each year, which I supply to a nursery in Japan. Seems they are quite popular in Asia.

Plants will flower even at one year old from seed.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

I always enjoy reading Kohinoor's posts. Conditions in Taiwan are so different to the UK that it is interesting to get a different insight in succulents and their cultivation.

Yes, there is plenty of plants and seeds of B. volubilis around and I think there is some variability, e.g. some produce large single bulbs, mine divided trichotomously and there is the report of the offsetting one above. However the other species B. gariepensis seems much rarer in cultivation and maybe the twin scaling could be a way of propagating that one if you are really brave.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

If required, I sent a few packets of seed to our Seed Pool, last year. I could aso send fresh seed. Or even pods if asked for. This year I tried to see how long the vine would be, it is now nearly two metres. Lol. Tina, have sent you a PM. Cheers ps, l have read that all of this plant is toxic.
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

Tina wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 pm Hi kohinoor
Thats a really well documented method, good pictures and very informative,
Now the question, is this very rare or sought after, I have one I have been growing for years and don't even see the bulb as its deep in the pot, should I get the knife out :???: .
Thanks
Hard to tell.They can be find from time to time but no one seems to offer they consistently.
I will suggests using general scaling. by pull off the most outer layer and use these.It's much less damage to mother plant and less risky.
Twin scale is more like a proof of concept.

Aiko wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:27 pm As it is self fertile, it sets viable seeds very easily in moderately amounts. No need to cut up your plant for a lot of small plants, I would think. You might as well sow the seeds.
I know they are self-fertile but from my experience they only set small amount of seed. Maybe the clone is different ?
My friend is a little overly experimental.I am surprise to see him cut his plant as well.

Terry S. wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:15 pm I always enjoy reading Kohinoor's posts. Conditions in Taiwan are so different to the UK that it is interesting to get a different insight in succulents and their cultivation.

Yes, there is plenty of plants and seeds of B. volubilis around and I think there is some variability, e.g. some produce large single bulbs, mine divided trichotomously and there is the report of the offsetting one above. However the other species B. gariepensis seems much rarer in cultivation and maybe the twin scaling could be a way of propagating that one if you are really brave.
Thank for your support.
I am currently mass produce B. gariepensis seed. got 40 seedling this year.i have 4 different clone, seed is more viable option for me.
They grow very fast if you dare to water and fertilizer(use organic one).

Fun fact: if the mother bulb rotten, the fruit remain on the vine can still grow to maturity by remaining nutrition.that is what happen if you push too hard on 3 yr old seedling.

As for scaling,B. gariepensis have thicker scale,harder to pull off scale, and the bulb get smaller then thin-scale B. volubilis . I had some success with general scaling but twin scaling is too scary for me.

What really interesting is can Boophone be propagate via Twin-scaling ?
As general scaling can;t be use on it.
And Twin-scaling is commercially use on propagate Amaryllidoideae.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Morning Kohinoor,
I must admit I do like to experiment a little with my plants but never very organsied with taking the photo's, its more slash and wander off :grin:
My Boophone seed grown is soo slow you would need to have a trick to produce these, compared to ex habitat plants its never going to amount to anything similar, supposedly very toxic.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.