Watering in heat wave

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Watering in heat wave

Post by Eric Williams »

I agree most cacti may go to sleep in this heat, so it would be a waste to water them. Does this apply to Lithops ? My Lithops look as if they need a good drink of Dwr Cymru (Welsh Water) at the moment. Cheers
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Watering in heat wave

Post by Diane »

I think it would be safer to leave them for the moment, Eric. They get very heat stressed in habitat, and cope with such conditions, but cooler weather is coming soon! (Thank goodness!) so maybe just sit it out until then.
I'm sure iann will have some good advice if he reads this.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I remember a lesson I got about 100000000000000000000 years ago when I got carried away with C&S: 'if they go dormant because of the heat wave (and they will) just spray them, never water'. My teacher could have been wrong but I still follow that rule...
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Good tip AnTTun, thanks.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Today a 75 year old heat record was broken up here. The temperature reached 40,7C, old record was 38,6C. I haven't been in my greenhouse, but I wonder if it would have been over 50C.

Even the camels in a zoo thought it was hot enough to try to cool down in some water:

rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

The outdoor temperature in my garden here in the north midlands reached 32 deg C in the shade yesterday afternoon. In my conservatory, with windows and door wide open and fan on, the highest was 37 deg. C in shade. The temperature this morning here is significantly lower. I haven't watered my succulent plants all week but after today's reduction in heat I'll probably start again tomorrow.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

If I had time I would move every plant outside for a day and let them enjoy this gentle rain falling right now in Kent.
It take too long though to move 2,500+ plants.
If only I could just remove the roof of the greenhouse!
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Surely during cooler night temperatures cacti would take in water if given the opportunity during a heat wave.
What night time temperature would be needed?
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Tony R wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:53 am If I had time I would move every plant outside for a day and let them enjoy this gentle rain falling right now in Kent.
It take too long though to move 2,500+ plants.
If only I could just remove the roof of the greenhouse!
I was fantasising yesterday about a greenhouse on rails that I could slide away during the right conditions.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Some work on Arizonan cacti reported in "The Cactus Primer" showed that night temperature needs to be below 18C for the stomata to open to carry out CAM.