mealy bug remedy?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

mealy bug remedy?

Post by Cactus Kid »

Comments on whether this would work. free of mealies for 1 year !
I was considering adding it to my soil mix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tree-Shrub-P ... .l4275.c10
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: mealy bug remedy?

Post by Acid John »

If you did add it to your compost what exactly would you be adding? I can not see a list of active ingredients.
Acid John
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Apparently it contains imidacloprid, but awfully expensive imported from USA.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Acid John wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:02 am If you did add it to your compost what exactly would you be adding? I can not see a list of active ingredients.
Label shows imidacloprid which the Americans can use but is I think now banned in the UK/EU
label.PNG
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Postage isn't an issue as I order other stuff from them.

Just wondered if you thought it would work. Worth every penny if it gives me a year free of mealy, it's been a nightmare this summer. :cry:
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Why not just order malathion from USA then, its the pesticide we all loved to use just hate the smell. You will probably get more feed than bug treatment in a mix.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Got some malathion but it's only a contact and doesn't get the eggs so needs re- applying. As I am working six days a week and my collection is quite large I often miss an application so am back to square one. :sad:
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Tina wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:12 pm Why not just order malathion from USA then, its the pesticide we all loved to use just hate the smell. You will probably get more feed than bug treatment in a mix.
Because it is long banned for use in the UK, could be seized on importation, and result in prosecution/fines? Because it is a hazardous nerve agent organophosphate?

Not for me, thanks.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

So we can't use it on our plants but these nice people at N.I.C.E. are happy for us to rub it on children's heads.
Stuart
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Stuart wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 pm So we can't use it on our plants but these nice people at N.I.C.E. are happy for us to rub it on children's heads.
Stuart
We can argue rights and wrongs of this (and the arguments have all been heard before). But without getting on any high horse I wonder whether it is appropriate for banned substances to be recommended in the society forum.