August eNews

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RogerF
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: August eNews

Post by RogerF »

Nothing here as well.
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Werewolf wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 pm
Chez2 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:45 pm Just been back and checked and there is nothing. It was a quiet day yesterday too, lots of our customers only work half a day on Fridays so not many emails coming in.
PM me your email address and we'll check the distribution list. It's the first problem we've heard about since the fix.

Graham Evans
eNews Editor
Sent you a pm. Thanks.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

It is sad to see from the eNewsletter that we are losing another hard-working and long-serving Society official. I must say that if I had been faced with having to run two membership systems in parallel, I would probably have resigned too.
Most of the people who do the work for the Society have come to those positions via the Branch system. It is difficult to imagine that future people in those roles could come via such things as social media participation.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 am It is sad to see from the eNewsletter that we are losing another hard-working and long-serving Society official. I must say that if I had been faced with having to run two membership systems in parallel, I would probably have resigned too.
Most of the people who do the work for the Society have come to those positions via the Branch system. It is difficult to imagine that future people in those roles could come via such things as social media participation.
Thanks for expressing that ... you'll probably get some flack from the social media zealots. I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. This society will only flourish in a "mixed economy".
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 am It is sad to see from the eNewsletter that we are losing another hard-working and long-serving Society official. I must say that if I had been faced with having to run two membership systems in parallel, I would probably have resigned too.
Why do you say that? That's exactly how I / we came to be here. I had contacted the BCSS directly on three occasions, two of which took ages to get a response. One was to come and collect a car full of plants that had grown too big for me to care for. One message was asking about shows or places to buy. I got a response but nothing asking me or encouraging me to join.

I belong to several Facebook groups and a forum for tropical / exotic plants. We meet up at least once a year when people open their gardens. Last July 2018 a BCSS member who we had met before came to our open garden and encouraged us to join. We joined in October then volunteered to do social media for our branch in December. In March we were asked if we would attend a committee meeting to give an update on social media. To reflect our efforts we were asked if we would like to join the committee and we accepted. Ours may be a local role but we have engaged with people interested in joining other branches.

I can see el48tel has already made a puerile comment. Luckily I'm quite thick skinned. I do find it irksome when people are negative about something they don't understand. If they understood it then they wouldn't make such comments.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Chez2 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:09 am

I can see el48tel has already made a puerile comment. Luckily I'm quite thick skinned. I do find it irksome when people are negative about something they don't understand. If they understood it then they wouldn't make such comments.
Putting it on public record. I have no intention responding to this comment. Don't want to argue in public or private.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Sorry Chez2 but you didn't read what I wrote. What I said was "from social media participation". You progressed from that stage to branch activities which is where we are going to find our activists of the future. There are very good examples of social media postings that have led to increased branch membership; just look at what has happened with Portsmouth Branch. The problem is that so many people never progress from on-line chatting to face-to-face meeting. The challenge is to have an on-line presence that leads to increased physical participation.
Chez2
BCSS Member

Post by Chez2 »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:23 pm Sorry Chez2 but you didn't read what I wrote. What I said was "from social media participation". You progressed from that stage to branch activities which is where we are going to find our activists of the future. There are very good examples of social media postings that have led to increased branch membership; just look at what has happened with Portsmouth Branch. The problem is that so many people never progress from on-line chatting to face-to-face meeting. The challenge is to have an on-line presence that leads to increased physical participation.
I did read what you had written; "from social media participation". I know what you mean about progressing on from this.
RogerF
BCSS Member

Post by RogerF »

I still haven't received the eNews. Will someone involved in the distribution look into this please?
RogerF
BCSS Member

Post by RogerF »

Hello, is anybody there????