ELK 2019

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

ELK 2019

Post by Stuart »

Not long to go now and more nurseries than ever, the smaller room is being used again this year along with the main hall and huge marquee. This has to be the largest gathering of multi-national nurseries - five from Japan, one from Taiwan, one from China, one mysteriously from 'EU', and well over a hundred from various parts of Europe. Without stopping for breaks, if you spend the entire weekend looking at the sales plants, I reckon that gives about six minutes per nursery. Add in meal and bar breaks and the fact that some nurseries leave on the Saturday evening and that six minute figure shrinks even further. I'll be in my usual corner of the tent with the tasteful t-shirts, come and say hello - and buy something!!

Stuart
Terry S.

Re: ELK 2019

Post by Terry S. »

And it could be the last at which Brits can buy and sell plants if Boris has his way! I also wonder about the effect within the EU of extending the plant passport scheme.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

Terry S. wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 am And it could be the last at which Brits can buy and sell plants if Boris has his way! I also wonder about the effect within the EU of extending the plant passport scheme.
Optimist.
The "woman" couldn't do it in 3 years so how can the "man" do it 3 months?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Terry S. wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 am And it could be the last at which Brits can buy and sell plants if Boris has his way! I also wonder about the effect within the EU of extending the plant passport scheme.
That's what I thought last year, so bought quite a few plants justifying myself on the grounds that it was my last chance. Now I've got another "last chance". But I don't know how many times I can plead this before my wife bans me from ELK...
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Deltron
Registered Guest

Post by Deltron »

Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations, please? The centre is fully booked and I'm needing parking too.

Thanks for any insight...
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Booked the ferry so we are all ready now, can anyone recommend a nice restaurant, we arrive Thursday and make a mini break of it, we once had a lovely meal at a place by the Marina( called ship/scooner or something boat related) went back two years running and it's been closed both times.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Unfortunately due to poor health at the moment I will have to miss ELK this year, but at least a good few of the growers should be at the National next year.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I think someone mentioned Rudy and Gerhard,are we allowed to know who else yet or is it a secret ?
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Talking to a couple of other UK nurserymen last week, we've not heard anything about the national, I only knew the date because I read it on The Forum. I've dates for shows booked for June and July and talks right up to next November with the year planner filling up fast, the 'talking part' button on the BCSS website still shows the next national as 2016, maybe the overseas nurseries have been asked first.
Getting back on-topic, does anyone have any info on the new Asian nurseries at ELK this year, any websites or any idea of what to expect.
Stuart
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

The Continental nurseries will have very little idea as to whether they can sell at our next National Show. If a new Iron Curtain does descend along the Channel, it could well be impracticable for them to obtain the health and particularly CITES documentation needed to bring their plants over and then take the unsold back again.