unstable

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
brianc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

unstable

Post by brianc »

Hi all
I propogate alot of Echeveria Comptons Carousal from off sets, and i am amazed at the varigation
variation that the plants produce i am also surprised that you can get a different offset off the same
plant at the same time? The picture shows four off sets off the same plant all taken at the same time.
Attachments
DSC01290.JPG
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: unstable

Post by Brian »

How very interesting. I love these plants, so does my daughter & so much so that I gave her my only one!!

Do they offset easily? Never been fortunate enough for it to have happened. Any tips or am I just a bad grower?
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

Those are pretty cool.

This type of variegation is the result of a mutation in a few layers of the apical meristem. As cells divide they end up with cells of that area, some growing points get the whole mutation, others the non mutated cells.

These are rather unstable, as you can see, your's vary quite a bit, from symmetrical to one sided areas with no chlorophyll. You even have some with very little chlorophyll at all.

They are very nice regardless!

Peter
Peter Shaw
Geri88
BCSS Member

Post by Geri88 »

They look great. Bottom left is my favourite, it doesn't look natural but it has loads of character.
All things small and not (too) spiny.
brianc
BCSS Member

Post by brianc »

I will try to answer your questions the best i can.
I have two stock plants that are evenly varigated ,at two years old they both started to elongate the stems ended
up about three inches long,the lower leaves kept dying back so i kept taking them off, one day i noticed three
offsets coming so i waited to see how they developed with fingers crossed they grew quite quick and after about
three months they were about half an inch in size. I cut them off and planted them up [ june] by october they
had grown to about one and a half jnches in size. If you look back on the forum i think a month you will see what
i mean i posted a picture of one of my plants with off sets on, each year i keep the best marked plants and sell
the rest i do not understand how people are happy to pay ten to twelve pounds for a four inch pot, i would not
know how many i have sold over the years? In the past i have posted how i grow nearly all my plants with no
compost at all just perlite and vermiculite 50/50 i feed every three or four waterings but i am not too fussy i also
water my Echeverias Adromischus Aloes through the winter just a little i know some people think its wrong but i
can assure you i grow some very healthy plants.
brianc
BCSS Member

Post by brianc »

The article i mentioned is Pruning Echeverias May 8th if your interested.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Very interested, can anyone please provide a link ? Thanks
MalcolmP2
BCSS Member

Post by MalcolmP2 »

(tu)
Yes very interesting,
thank you Brian for showing and thank you Peter for the meristem explanation.
Eric Williams wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 pm can anyone please provide a link ?
LINK
or viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168238&p=278231&hil ... as#p278233
Chez2
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Chez2 »

Oh wow, Fabulous! I love them.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES